• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

Pleasant afternoon at imf today. Pair of siskins, water rail, peregrine, loads of golden plovers, Dunlin, 4 spotted redshanks, were the best of a good bunch.
Must say I'm not to keen on the extensive tidying up that's been done up by the feeders by the old reception, a bit too sanitised for my tastes!

Yesterday - Great White Egret, 3 Little Egrets, 50 Pink-footed Geese and 18 Whooper Swans at Frodsham; Smew at Moore NR; 20,000 Knot and Little Egret at Hilbre;

CB

Today - Long-tailed Duck at Woolston Eyes; Smew at Moore NR; 5 Waxwings at New Brighton plus 6 at Wallasey and 36 at West Kirby; Mediterranean Gull at Parkgate; Spotted Redshank at Burton Mere Wetlands; 20 Purple Sandpipers at New Brighton ML;

CB

Not quite sure I should cough to this... but its on my County list now. Fabulous half hour at Parkgate, with fighting SEOs, a juv male Hen Harrier in touching distance and best of all a Barn Owl which was repeatedly mugged by a kestrel

Attachments

• DSCN8732.JPG
    DSCN8732.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 98
Did you need a Sat Nav Jane?
Nail shot and open wing shot.

Attachments

• Lesser Scaup2 030213.jpg
    Lesser Scaup2 030213.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Lesser Scaup11 030213.jpg
    Lesser Scaup11 030213.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 66
Long-tailed Duck

Female Long-tailed Duck on River Mersey at Rixton this morning at Butchersfield Bight, near the pipes over the river before you get to Bollin Point and the Ship Canal.

Mar 2nd – Great White Egret, 5 Little Egrets, Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier and 18 Whooper Swans at Frodsham; Glaucous Gull and 2 Iceland Gulls at Richmond Bank; 2 Iceland Gulls, Smew and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR; Long-tailed Duck at Woolston Eyes; 28 Waxwings at Bollington; 22 Purple Sandpipers at New Brighton ML; 2 Jack Snipe at Gowy Meadows; Greenshank at Leasowe;

CB

Mar 3rd - Lesser Scaup and Corn Bunting at Burton Mere Wetlands; Long-tailed Duck at Woolston Eye; Water Pipit at Neston; 53 Waxwings at Bollington plus 45 at Northwich and 27 at Bebington; 3 Short-eared Owls at Parkgate; escaped Wood Duck at Bollington;

CB

Yesterday - Long-tailed Duck at Woolston Eyes; Smew at Moore NR; 40 Waxwings at Newton/West Kirby plus 9 at Knutsford; Avocet, Hen Harrier and Stonechat at Frodsham; Yellow-legged Gull at Sandbach Flashes; Woodcock at Inner Marsh Farm;

CB

Today - Long-tailed Duck at Woolston Eyes; Smew and 2 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR;

No spring migrants in Cheshire yet but they are surely not far away!

CB

Whilst visiting my mum in Thelwall yesterday, I glanced out of the window to see what I immediately thought was a Goshawk roughly over the Grappenhall/Thelwall border near Warrington. I grabbed the bins and got on it for a few seconds and nothing changed my mind. I live in France and am used to seeing them like that and have got my eye in on them, but would not want to claim this as a 100% definite and try to submit it to CAWOS rarities committee due to brevity and distance of views, but for me it had the right flight action and was the size of a Buzzard so personally I'm happy with it. If I was home in France and had seen that, I would not have given it a second thought. Maybe worth keeping an eye open for in the farmland between Grappenhall and Stretton as that was where it was heading.

That's interesting . Was walking round Dunham Massey yesterday about 1pm when I saw what I assumed was a goshawk flying high up. Definitely a hawk and seemed buzzard size. I was watching a pair of goshawk displaying ( not in Cheshire ) only a few days ago so I'm confident it wasn't a sparrow hawk. The bird was just passing through .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back