• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

Well it might not be of interest to anyone other than me but I've had two Cheshire garden ticks recently. Whitethroat on territory in the corner of a field across the road which sings from the garden at first light and a Mediterranean Gull after scanning through many, many thousands of Black-headeds. I live at Delamere so they are present pretty much permanently within a mile.
Luv from Dave

Thanks Jane, I love hearing about your Red Rocks stuff but never could compete! My Garden list is about 75 but that's only 18 months. Plenty to go at yet with no Willow Warbler and only two waders so loads of possibilities.

Managed to spend a rare couple of hours at BMW this morning, great to see lots of avocet chicks around!
Plenty of reed and sedge warblers about even managed some half-decent photos of them. Heard grasshopper & cetti's as well but didn't see them.
Next highlight was when looking at the little egrets in the trees and thinking something didn't look quite right, turned out to be 3 spoonbills, bumped into Colin who got quite excited and confirmed them as 2 adults and a juvenile as they flew off towards Burton Marsh.
Then when leaving, a few people were pointing cameras into the trees in the carpark, a pair of nesting spotted flycatchers! Brill!

Wobbly vid of the 3 spoonbills now on my YouTube channel. Wonder if these are the same ones seen at Decca pools?

Last edited:
Well I might as well add my odd bits to this dying thread.
A quandry; A pair of Buzzard are feeding young just out of sight in a bit of woodland in front of my house at Delamere. Yesterday, the bird I presume to be the male flew past with a Snake sp whilst I was sat on my sofa in my living room with the best view in Cheshire, enjoying said view (so glad I didn't sell my binoculaires when I stopped twitching!) I've rarely seen this in the UK before. The quandry is can I have Grass Snake as a garden tick? Grass Snakes are certainly around the area but I've never seen a reptile at all in my garden. I say Snake sp because some locals insist Adders are present locally but I personally am not sure, other than that the brief view showed Grass Snake colouration. Finally it could have been dead already.
On reflection I can't have it as a garden tick can I :-(
Luv Dave

Hi

Does anyone have any directions for the Longtailed Duck which has been spotted at Chelford? I have looked on Google maps and there appears to be quite a few bodies of water around the area so I was just hoping that someone may have some more precise details?

Cheers

Tim.

Tim
Assuming you are coming along the A34, from Congleton, follow it until the A537 before Alderley Edge. Turn left and follow this to the next roundabout, turn left onto the A535 Holmes Chapel road. Lapwing Lane is (I think) the 2nd left. Park near the first house on the left (if my memory is right but could be 2nd), go through the metal footpath kissing gate. The field is mowed, follow that and you will see the lake. Its only about 100mts. Check on a map to make sure I'm right. Its on Google Maps if you search for Lapwing Lane, Chelford.

Chers, Phil

Tim
Assuming you are coming along the A34, from Congleton, follow it until the A537 before Alderley Edge. Turn left and follow this to the next roundabout, turn left onto the A535 Holmes Chapel road. Lapwing Lane is (I think) the 2nd left. Park near the first house on the left (if my memory is right but could be 2nd), go through the metal footpath kissing gate. The field is mowed, follow that and you will see the lake. Its only about 100mts. Check on a map to make sure I'm right. Its on Google Maps if you search for Lapwing Lane, Chelford.

Chers, Phil

Cheers Phil, just got to hope that it sticks around till the weekend now

Tim

Hi thinking of visiting Gowy Meadows - can any one just visit? I'd it? How good is it for butterflies?

I think access is limited as its CWT land? There are some footpaths around the area, from Walk Mill is quite good, also by the old packhorse bridges at Hockenhul plats is fascinating! Best bet is prob to dig out an OS map and plan a walk. I think Walk Mill have some leaflets on walks in the area. You can park by the 3 old packhorse bridges as well.

Lordy, this thread has gone quiet!

I managed a rare couple of hours at BMW this week, 2 black swans on the main scrape and 8 spoonbills on the marsh covert pool were good!

A more leisurely return to bmw today. 2 black swans, 2 ruff & 3 dunlin and 1 juvenile avocet on the main scrape. Green sandpiper and several snipe on the reception pool. Kingfisher on the mere, gs woodie. 8 spoonbills again on the marsh covert pool .
Plenty of lovely wildflowers too.

Those updates were awesome! I hope he is ok as well!

I don't know him or her but always look forward to their local updates. He/she provide a brilliant service to local birders. I hope they are okay and their absence from the forum is due to a holiday.
Whoever you are Cheshire Birder, I hope you are OK and hope to see posts from you soon

Parryman

Can any of the Frodsham regulars help me out?
From late August onwards large numbers of predominantly Greylag with some Canada's fly north along the east side of the Cheshire ridge (Eddisbury hill etc) in the evenings and return in the mornings. Presumably going to roost at Frodsham and then to feed at various sites from Four Ways Quarry onwards.
Anyway it's a twice daily thing but usually just too dark to see much. They fly directly over the house and make a hell of a noise but this morning there were definitely a few Pinkfeet in with them calling. To cut a long story short are there Pinkfeet at Frodsham at the moment and are they mixing with the feral geese? I did get out of bed at about 6 bleeding 30 but only Greylags and Canadas came over after that.
I've never actually seen Pinkfeet from my house which is a glaring omission I know! I have seen skeins from the shop and the road on three occasions all of which had gone out of sight by the time I got into my driveway.
Luv from Dave

Nine Waxwings at 6.45pm at top of sycamore behind car park at Eddisbury Fruit Farm before appearing to go down, possibly to the ivy bush at Blackcurrant Cottage then heard overhead 200m along Delamere Loop - going to roost? Delighted to catch up with these, had looked for them 2 1/2 weeks ago but turned out I wasn't quite far enough along the lane. At least one, prob two Garden Warbler in birch regen behind oaks and beech along the Delamere Loop. One redpoll flying around calling for a bit too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back