• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (4 Viewers)

Apparently several Velvets have been seen off Formby Point this week, so maybe some North Wirral sightings may follow( in addition to the regular Hilbre bird).

Possibly getting commoner though. Saw my first in 2008. Two more in 2009 & Hilbre this year. Hilbre is the place to be (apart from Jane's lofty perch). Surf Scoter on my County wish list. Just hope there's a twitchable one and not a one observer fly past. Anyway, stuck in Munich airport so no use to me if it's found over the next few days.......

It will be a one observer sees a white head at the back end of 3000 Scoter off Dovepoint. 5 or six times.

My best chance is in flight - I can see the face and bill patterns of the Common scoter off HE2 and HE3 from home.

Last edited:
Probable 1st winter Caspian Gull, Gowy tip this afternoon. Seen in fields along Picton Lane. 2 Kingfishers on Shropshire Union Canal between Stoak & Ellesmere Port sewage works. Raven nearby.

Probable adult or 3rd. winter Iceland gull today - fly past only over River Bollin near Dunham Park (in Cheshire though) east - west c15:30.

Also 3 Goosander over, and 2 Woodcock flushed, plus Green woodpecker.
(see My Birding Day for further details.)

brace of bullfinch,lots of Goldfinch and Reed bunts on Gatewarth today, Little Grebe on canal and Fieldfare/redwing flocks on Penketh railway 'horsey field' AM

Sprog female, and male Kestrel too and a squillion gulls on Richmond bank obviously contained white wings,but work commitments mean't I didn't have time to scan through - bugger!

If you were the birder with scope, (I did say good morning to you twice!) - did you connect with any??

Middlewood way 09.00 - 11.00hrs

Short walk from Higher Poynton Nelsons pit to Jacksons Brickworks along the Middlewood way and saw the following:

Song thrush (5 or 6) singing very loudly atop of bushes and trees :t:
Redwing 12+
Mistle Thrush 3
Great, Blue, Coal, LT tits
Dunnocks and Robins also singing well
Blackbirds, Woodpigeons, Collared Doves, Jackdaws, Carrion Crows, Feral Pigeons, Starlings, Magpie, Jay.
Gold, Green, Chaffinch & Bullfinch female.
Wrens, Nuthatch 2
7 Mallard, Grey Heron & Buzzard over

Dave

Last edited:
Fantastic views of a flock of at least 120 Fieldfare [mixed in with Starlings] in the fields off Gorsey Lane near Burtonwood this lunchtime - sat in the car in a gateway and waited til they fed their way towards me down the edge of the field - views to around 30 ft when they weren't spooked by passing cars!

Attachments

• DSC_2451.jpg
    DSC_2451.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_2289.jpg
    DSC_2289.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Anyone heard recent news on Black Redstart at Saltney?

Only that it was seen on Monday but no reports since that i'm aware of. Maybe worth a look tho.

Short walk from Higher Poynton Nelsons pit to Jacksons Brickworks along the Middlewood way and saw the following:

Song thrush (5 or 6) singing very loudly atop of bushes and trees :t:
Redwing 12+
Mistle Thrush 3
Great, Blue, Coal, LT tits
Dunnocks and Robins also singing well
Blackbirds, Woodpigeons, Collared Doves, Jackdaws, Carrion Crows, Feral Pigeons, Starlings, Magpie, Jay.
Gold, Green, Chaffinch & Bullfinch female.
Wrens, Nuthatch 2
7 Mallard, Grey Heron & Buzzard over

Dave

Good selection of common birds Dave. The Song Thrushes are now starting to pick up with their song.

Fantastic views of a flock of at least 120 Fieldfare [mixed in with Starlings] in the fields off Gorsey Lane near Burtonwood this lunchtime - sat in the car in a gateway and waited til they fed their way towards me down the edge of the field - views to around 30 ft when they weren't spooked by passing cars!

Glad to hear there are still large numbers about.

CB

Two redhead smew showing very well on Tatton Mere at lunchtime, viewed directly accross from the birds as I was in Dogwood. If only I'd had a camera. One of the birds is showing some white mottling on the forecrown, so perhaps a 1st-w male - lets hope it returns in full finery next winter. Pair of mandarin present too and herons very active in the nests there.

Yesterdays black redstart report was from Cloughwood School, Northwich at 3pm, according to the pager. Would go and check but its a big site and I'm not too comfortable wandering about by a school with a pair of bins!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back