• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (4 Viewers)

just another quickie - I will be covering the Wigg High Tide on BBC Radio Merseyside this Saturday at 7:30am if you are out and about, in my new role as the 5th partner in the 'Naturewatch' broadcast - shameless plug but I need the listeners....

PM me if you want me to promote events/sightings or anything 'natural history' related for Cheshire/Merseyside.

Shameless plugs are always welcome!!

CB

It was a big tide today, certainly higher than the person who parked this car was expecting. I resisted wading over to see if the door seals had held out. The photo was taken after the tide dropped. At the peak the wheel trims were under.

Reminds me of the time I left my car on the carpark by the Marine Lake in West Kirby :-C. At least the one in the photo didn't start to float off towards the USA!!!! :t:
Chris

Reminds me of the time I left my car on the carpark by the Marine Lake in West Kirby :-C. At least the one in the photo didn't start to float off towards the USA!!!! :t:
Chris

Lol :-O

I can beat that Chris..... I tried to drive the Causeway on Shell Island about 8 years ago as the tide came in. I had watched the 4x4s do it with relative ease, didnt think my "very low" sporty number would hit a dip in the causeway. My horror as the seawater submerged my bonnet.

Picture 10pm, pitch black rushing tide and a family wading back down the causeway that we had just driven up, then picture a return after high tide to see where the water line had been upto on the car...... just above door handles.

:-C

Can laugh a little now

3 Garganey near Decca Pools this afternoon. Two nice drakes and a duck although distant. 4 Avocet seen here and later at IMF. Whilst watching the Garganey a small party of Bewick Swans did a fly past.

If previous years are to go by N Wirral should get a Garganey or a Wheatear any day soon.

Spring is here!

3 Garganey near Decca Pools this afternoon. Two nice drakes and a duck although distant. 4 Avocet seen here and later at IMF. Whilst watching the Garganey a small party of Bewick Swans did a fly past.

If previous years are to go by N Wirral should get a Garganey or a Wheatear any day soon.

Spring is here!

Glad to hear the Avocets are back!! Hopefully the Garganey will linger till the weekend.

LRP reported at Leasowe on 2nd March. Glauc Gull again at Sandbach and Bittern at Budworth Mere yesterday. Three Garganey still present this morning.

CB

Dippers

Great views of 2 Dipper at Wildboarclough this morning :t:

2 Redgrouse close to the chimney at Danebower, then flew across the Congleton road and over the brow of the hill.

Cant be long before Ring Ouzel & Wheatear are backat Danebower :t:

Attachments

• best.jpg
    best.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 66
Great views of 2 Dipper at Wildboarclough this morning :t:

2 Redgrouse close to the chimney at Danebower, then flew across the Congleton road and over the brow of the hill.

Cant be long before Ring Ouzel & Wheatear are backat Danebower :t:

Much better than my shot of Dipper that I took a couple of weeks ago!!

Ring Ousel only 2-3 weeks away!!

CB

16 Tundra Bean Geese reported at Frodsham weir last night and at first light this morning but flew off towards Frodsham score. 16 Pinkfeet on old No. 1 tank at Frodsham 40 minutes later............................................Hmmm.

Its a shame they weren't Tundra bean geese but I'm relieved as I saw 16 Pink feet on the mersey on Thursday!

Wish I was still up there there's loads of birds in Cheshire at the moment.

Gareth

Hi All

Spent the day around Burton Marsh and Inner Marsh today with my better half.

First off headed for Burton Marsh to try for the Garganey, which was our target bird for the day, as we both need this for our life list.

Thanks to a chap down by the marsh we were pointed in the right direction and managed to pick up both the male and female, a really smart looking duck. Unfortuantly we missed the Jack Snipe flushed by a passing Hen Harrier as that would have been another lifer.

Also managed to see a sibgle Spoonbill and Bewick and Whooper Swans down on the marsh before heading back up the hill to Inner Marsh.

At Inner Marsh we managed to spot a Spotted Red Shank in with the Red Shanks.
All the usual suspects were also present.

Tim.

Its a shame they weren't Tundra bean geese but I'm relieved as I saw 16 Pink feet on the mersey on Thursday!

Wish I was still up there there's loads of birds in Cheshire at the moment.

Gareth

Shame they were not Bean Geese but at least they have been correctly re-identified.

Hi All

Spent the day around Burton Marsh and Inner Marsh today with my better half.

First off headed for Burton Marsh to try for the Garganey, which was our target bird for the day, as we both need this for our life list.

Thanks to a chap down by the marsh we were pointed in the right direction and managed to pick up both the male and female, a really smart looking duck. Unfortuantly we missed the Jack Snipe flushed by a passing Hen Harrier as that would have been another lifer.

Also managed to see a sibgle Spoonbill and Bewick and Whooper Swans down on the marsh before heading back up the hill to Inner Marsh.

At Inner Marsh we managed to spot a Spotted Red Shank in with the Red Shanks.
All the usual suspects were also present.

Tim.

Was down at Denhall Lane, Burton yesterday 86 mixed Bewick's/Whooper Swans and of course the pair of Garganey (showing well in the heat haze!!). Then moved to Neston where I had one of the Spoonbills off the Old Quay. Ringtail Hen Harrier and several Rock Pipits were also in the area.

CB

Highlights from today - pair of Garganey still at Burton, Wheatear at Arclid (nr Sandbach), LRP at Frodsham (for 2nd day), Bittern again at IMF and LSW again at Moore NR. Possible Baltic Gull and Glaucous Gull at Richmond Bank yesterday.

CB

Brief stroll around Marbury today saw a really good mix of birds with highlights being Kingfisher [fly past], Jay from five feet away at the woodland hide, two Nuthatch, treecreepers, Goldcrest [in the Yews just before the woodland hide] and male Bullfinch in the car park.

Attachments

• Bullfinch.jpg
    Bullfinch.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 49
  • Jay.jpg
    Jay.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 50
Hi Re the Dipper picture, as you can see this is a colour rnged individual. South Manchester Ringing Group in conjuction with Professor Stuart Sharpe at Sheffield UniV are mid way through a BTO RAS ( retrapping adults for Survival) project on Dippers. The blue colour ring above the BTO metal denotes the river (in this case Clough Brook) and the colour ring combination on the left leg, which territory/pair it was first trapped at. This is a male who was paired with a female by the picnic site near Yarnshaw Hill in 2009. The colour ringing means we dont have to try and recatch the adults as they can be identified from excellent pictures like the one posted.
At Wildboarclough, the Dippers ( and there are up to six pairs down to the A54 bridge from Bottom of the Oven) tend not to spend all winter on territory, most birds decend to lower levels during the winter months. It seems to be the experienced females who get back to key territories (mostly nest boxes under the bridges) first, and then lure a passing male as they move back up the brook ! So the girls are very much in charge in the Dippering world of Clough Brook at least! Having said that we did have one male who manged two females and two broods under adjacent bridges 100m apart in 2009, and even manged a second brood with one of them, who was actually his daughter from a previous season. Would make a good soap opera I think !

HP

Spring sort of arrived at Red Rocks today. A small movement of Siskins, a Goldcrest and a spluttering as opposed to singing Chiffchaff. There has been a wintering Chiffy so its perhaps a little optimistic to suggest this was an trans-saharan migrant. Reed Buntings are singing (3 males) There were also a couple of Long-tailed Tits, the usual Water Rails and a Peregrine sat on the beach

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back