• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

Yesterday produced my first "real" spring migrants with 1 Wheatear opposite Gilroy and 2+3 Sand Martin belting north over the Langfields. A very good morning on Hoylake Langfields today with 3 Wheatear, on the tops of the hedges, 67 Blackwit, 2 Garganey and a Spotted Redshank ( only one other personal record from the site, which makes it rarer than Wood Sandpiper ! ) opposite Gilroy. There were also 4 Wheatear on the shore, between West Kirby and Pinfold Lane.
Chris

Last edited:
I managed the 67 Blackwits (well 62 and 64 in two counts) and a nasty hybrid Shelduck x mallard type thing, but everything else eluded me as usual.

Yesterday visited Leasowe Lighthouse area late afternoon and had a few Mipits over and then just before dusk had c15 in the field by the car park. No sign of your Ousel at Red Rocks when I looked mid afternoon. Two Water Rails in the reedbed was little consolation.

Inland on my own patch had Water Rail again, four Buzzards, with a couple of Mipits and Pied Wagtails on the move.

CB

Other news for yesterday - Velvet Scoter off Hilbre (with 405 Meadow Pipits, 6 White Wagtails, Wheatear, 4 Little gulls, male Eider and the two Velvet Scoters on Mar 20th) and a drake Garganey at Carr Lane Pools, Hale.

Osprey over Wallasey today.

CB

Redesmere early afternoon ; 5 sand martin, 1 swallow and singing chiffchaff.Also 2 red-legs by the old vicarage.

A good record for red-legs. Where abouts exactly is the old vicarage? Carn't say I know exactly where that is.

Four Wheatear & loads of Chiffchaffs this morning (on patch - see My Birding Day).

RED KITE from my house this pm.

Was that a garden tick then?

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back