• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

A huge movement of Little Gulls off Hilbre today (300+). I didn't see any off Hoylake in a quick seawatch, though I did get 2 Sandwich Terns and a Whimbrel. 38 White Wagtails on the beach.

This afternoon there was a Greenland Wheatear in the field next to Meols Sewage farm. The significance of these dreadful photos is that they are video grabs of a bird that was barely visible naked eye, which proves that I should be able to get records shots of anything now!

Attachments

• gw.JPG
    gw.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 66
A huge movement of Little Gulls off Hilbre today (300+). I didn't see any off Hoylake in a quick seawatch, though I did get 2 Sandwich Terns and a Whimbrel. 38 White Wagtails on the beach.

This afternoon there was a Greenland Wheatear in the field next to Meols Sewage farm. The significance of these dreadful photos is that they are video grabs of a bird that was barely visible naked eye, which proves that I should be able to get records shots of anything now!

that's about as good as the view i got through my scope of one at point of ayre last weekend.

this qualifies as cheshire but had it been a couple of hundred yards on it would be derbyshire.

went for a mooch round the hills just up the road from where we live today.
got one peregrine,
1 little owl
and c20 ring ouzle lifer for me B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)o:D:king:

really should have put it in manchester but if i do bornwild goes spare.

Belated news for 12th - pair Garganey, Spoonbill & Grasshopper Warbler at IMF. Yesterday - Little, Arctic and Common Terns off Wallasey; Ring Ousel at Rostherne Mere; 2 Sedge Warblers, 2-3 Grasshopper Warblers, Whitethroat, Reed Warbler & LRP at Moore NR; 2 B.N.Grebes at Houghton Green Flash;

Today - LSW at Moore NR; 2 Arctic Terns at Winsford Bottom Flash;

CB

Cetti's, grasshopper and sedge warblers all singing around Astmmor Lagoon, Wigg Island this morning. Also willow tits calling.

Black-necked grebe on Budworth Mere, Marbury CP.

Last edited:
Very Little this am on N.Wirral. 2 Willow Warblers a Redpoll and 10 White wagtails were the only evidence of passage at Red Rocks. One Willow Warbler and a Tree Pipit (over) at Meols

Very quiet, again, on the Langfields this morning ( c.0530 - 0600 ). 1 Tree Pipit by Gilroy and my 1st Whitethroat of the year on the fenced off part of the Birket ( "Stalag Birket").
Chris

news for today - B.N.Grebe, White Wagtail, 73 Little Gulls, 2 Velvet Scoters, 5 Red-throated Divers, 33 Guillemot & 5 Razorbill at Hilbre;B.N.Grebe at Budworth Mere & 5 at Houghton Green Flash;

CB

Plus a crane over the Whitton Flashes / Budworth Mere around 6.20, headeing SW along the Weaver Valley and seen by 3 of the patch regulars.

Plus a crane over the Whitton Flashes / Budworth Mere around 6.20, headeing SW along the Weaver Valley and seen by 3 of the patch regulars.

Me thinks their optics were covered in volcanic ash ;);););););)
(only cos I didn't see it and got a couple of gloating phonecalls!)

Another poor and frustrating day at Red Rocks. 7 Willow Warblers early, that quickly dispersed, A Rook, 5 Redpolls and 20 White Wagtails on the Golf Course. Frustration arrived in the form of a good looking Sylvia that showed twice and hour apart, to two people. If I was in southern Europe I'd have thought Sard, but I wasn't. Whatever it was it was new for the year!

news for today - Osprey over West Kirby; 85 Little Gulls, 2 Velvet Scoters, 4 Eider and Grasshopper Warbler at Hilbre; Lesser Whitethroat and Whimbrel at Heswall; possible Hobby, LSW and 2 Green Sandpipers at Moore NR;4 BNG & Yellow Wagtail at Houghton Green Flash; Marsh Harrier, 3 White & 2-3 Yellow Wagtails at Frodsham;

CB

First Yellow Wag over Hilbre early (very!) this morning along with Tree Pipit. 4 -5 Whimbrel seen / heard. 5 Greenland Wheatears on the deck and small numbers of Redpoll / Goldfinch over.

My 5 year old wanted a day birding so we went Martin Mere called in at Sandbach flashes on the way back home. 2 Common Sandpipers 4 LRP 30c Black Tailed Godwits and Green Sandpiper showing well:t:

other news for today - Osprey, 17 Little Gulls, 12 Whimbrel, Ring Ouzel, Lesser Whitethroat & Sedge Warbler at Leasowe Lighthouse; Red Kite over Hoylake; 5 B.N.Grebes at Houghton Green Flash; 6 Greenland Wheatears, Tree Pipit, Yellow Wagtail, c30 Little Gulls & 5 Whimbrel at Hilbre; Lesser Whitethroat at Caldy; Whimbrel at Thurstaston and 11 at Heswall Shore;

CB

Cheers Jane - difficult to ge the exposure right as it was in dappled shade. Caught up with another Ring Ouzel today found by Colin Jones just off Park Lane. Not quiet so photogenic! 8-9 Wheatears in one group in fields adjacent to Meols sewage works an a fly over Tree Pipit was about all the action there was today.

Attachments

• Ring Ouzel2 180410.jpg
    Ring Ouzel2 180410.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back