• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

Meanwhile back to the topic of the thread.........
Redwing on Hilbre this morning caused a bit of a suprise! I know the weathers ben cold but all the same! My latest ever in Cheshire.

Thank you Phil for returning us to normality.

Your Redwing record reminds me of an even more extraordinary record I had of a pair of Fieldfares in mid June some years ago. Truly an incredible sight.

CB

todays news - 2 Spotted Flycatchers, Cuckoo, Siskin & 2 Grasshopper Warblers at Red Rocks; male Ruff, Cuckoo & Avocet at IMF; 4 Whimbrel at Heswall Shore; 2 Whimbrel at Hilbre; Knot at Moore NR;

CB

PS where are the Black Terns?

Ospreys nested in the english lake district and Wales of their own accord so why on earth did the RSPB and whoever else is involved reintroduce them at Rutland?

As far as I am aware the return of ospreys to Wales is a direct result of the Rutland scheme as it was a Rutland released female that established in Wales and attracted a mate in the first place, which was the beginnings of the currently establishing Welsh population.

Ospreys are colonial in a loose sense. Most sub-adult birds prefer to hang around waiting for a territory to become vacant rather than settle into a new area, hence the very slow initial spread through Scotland. Its no coincidence that the Rutland female lingered at a site in Wales on the same latitiude that she was reared/released at, and without her then I doubt there would be ospreys nesting in Wales. The increase in pairs there is a direct result of that first pair establishing - the beginnings of a new loose colony which has attracted other birds in as obviously these new pairs (3+ now?) cannot all be descendants of the Porthmadog birds.

I'm not wishing to start an argument: I too have reservations about some introduction schemes, but thought you might like to know the facts. Hopefully this won't degenerate into an argument as this is, after all, a Cheshire sigthings thread!!

Good spotting all. Lets have some black terns please.

Cheers.

Todays news - 2 Whinchats still at Leasowe; Sanderling at Moore NR; Opsrey over M53 at Clatterbridge this evening;

Late news yesterday - Mandarin & 2 Common Sands at Macclesfield Forest

CB

Red Rocks was on form this morning - just about to write it up. The only problem was that the vagrant was an amazing date rather than an amazing species.

As far as I am aware the return of ospreys to Wales is a direct result of the Rutland scheme as it was a Rutland released female that established in Wales and attracted a mate in the first place, which was the beginnings of the currently establishing Welsh population.

Ospreys are colonial in a loose sense. Most sub-adult birds prefer to hang around waiting for a territory to become vacant rather than settle into a new area, hence the very slow initial spread through Scotland. Its no coincidence that the Rutland female lingered at a site in Wales on the same latitiude that she was reared/released at, and without her then I doubt there would be ospreys nesting in Wales. The increase in pairs there is a direct result of that first pair establishing - the beginnings of a new loose colony which has attracted other birds in as obviously these new pairs (3+ now?) cannot all be descendants of the Porthmadog birds.

I'm not wishing to start an argument: I too have reservations about some introduction schemes, but thought you might like to know the facts. Hopefully this won't degenerate into an argument as this is, after all, a Cheshire sigthings thread!!

Good spotting all. Lets have some black terns please.

Cheers.

HI,
Some interesting points there. I thought there was only 2 pairs in wales - Porthmadog and nr Yns Hir. Are the others?
3 Buzzards cirlcling right over Crewe town centre this morning and its good to hear Swifts screaming down the street again. They seem late this year.
Also it seems like a really good year for Whitethroat. They are all over the place, even singing outside Crewe station but i haven't had a single lesser yet this year.

Jason

Cheers

Red Rocks was on form this morning - just about to write it up. The only problem was that the vagrant was an amazing date rather than an amazing species.

I will paraphrase your highlights Jane for my summary (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=29968&page=5).

News for today - 4 Common Scoter, Northern Fulmar, Little Egret, Whimbrel, 3 Tree Pipits, Whinchat, Grasshopper Warbler, Garden Warbler, 5+ Spotted Flycatchers, Turtle Dove, Cuckoo and Lapland Bunting coming in off the sea, landed in edge of spartina - full ad male. After a minute, carried on south all at Red Rocks; Spotted Flycatcher and Tree Pipit at Hoylake;

Yesterday Whinchat on Hilbre;

CB

Very poor day for cheshire again (so far) - 5 Spotted Flycathers, 3 Whimbrel and 1-2 Tree Pipits at Red Rocks is the only news.

Slightly further afield in NW today - Common Rosefinch on Isle of Man; Wilson's Phalarope at Seaforth; 2 Subalpine Warblers & Golden Oriole in Gwynedd; Dotterel on Anglesey;

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back