• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

Can you give me directions to the viewing site at Frodsham. I have been to Frodsham before but was intimidated by the narrow lanes and the lack of safe parking.

Last edited:
Enjoyable Mini Twitch to see Red Back only 1 lad there at dawn a couple turned up near to us departing. Id would of liked stay a little longer in the hope it would come a little closer. Remember my first one near there on the wirral at some garden centre. Spot on the finder:t:

Can you give me directions to the viewing site at Frodsham. I have been to Frodsham before but was intimidated by the narrow lanes and the lack of safe parking.

From the A56 take Marsh Lane, go over the M56 and take the right fork continue along the track past the log book, past the Weaver Bend parking area (where the old logbook used to be) and park by the gate. This is about 2 miles from the M56. Walk to the corner where the mangled iron can be seen (as in the pictures above). The bird was feeding along the fence today a few metres away from that area.

Enjoyable Mini Twitch to see Red Back only 1 lad there at dawn a couple turned up near to us departing. Id would of liked stay a little longer in the hope it would come a little closer. Remember my first one near there on the wirral at some garden centre. Spot on the finder:t:

Remember that bird. It was at Dovecote Nurseries, Burton in the mid 1990's I think.

CB

Other news for in additon to the RBShrike, 8+ Curlew Sandpipers on No6 tank at high tide and B.N.Grebe on Weaver Bend; Black Tern at Appleton Resr; Hobby at Hale; Wood Sandpiper at Neumann's Flash;

CB

Todays news -Black Tern still at Appleton Resr; 2 Garganey at Inner Marsh Farm; no sign of Red-backed Shrike at Frodsham this morning.

Yesterday - 5 Arctic Skuas, Little Gull & 250 Swallows at Hilbre

CB

No sign of the Wood Sandpiper at Neumann's Flash this morning. But Three Curlew Sandpiper, Six Dunlin and One Golden Plover present amongst the Lapwings and Canada Geese.

Todays news - Curlew Sandpiper at Heswall Shore; Curlew Sandpiper at Inner Marsh Farm;

Yesterday - Little Egret & Willow Warbler at Frodsham; 3 Hobbies at Risley Moss; 3 Marsh Harriers, 2 Green Sandpipers, 3 Black Terns, 6 Curlew Sandpipers & an estimated 2200 Canada Geese (record cheshire count?) in the Denhall Lane area of Burton Marsh; Arctic Skua at Hilbre;

CB

Managed to connect with the Little Shearwater at 3.15pm off the Lifeboat Station at Hoylake!!! It was flying west along the tide line looking distinctly smaller than a Manxie with a much more flapping flight - about half way in size between a Leach's and a Manxie. Very white underneath. Luckily two birders far more experienced than myself also saw it off Dove Point, Meols, they got even better views than me and it was they who ID'd it. I'm still stunned.

Only saw one Leach's but apparently a lot more went through, forecast for tomorrow looks even better!!

What a day!!!! A seabird bonanza!!!

In additon to the Little Shearwater seen off Meols & Hoylake, good numbers of seabirds wer noted close inshore. 53+ Leach's Petrels, 400+ Kittiwakes, 70+ Skua Spp sightings, Long-tailed Skua, 77 Auk spp, BlackTern and a Sooty Shearwater past Hoylake (well done Jane!!). Leach's were also seen off Wallasey (3), Hilbre (23+), Meols (3) and Hilbre (30+). Also Long-tailed Skua off Hilbre.

Other news - Wryneck at Leasowe; Curlew Sandpiper at Neumann's Flash; Black Tern & Little Egret at Marbury CP; 2 Curlew Sandpipers at Heswall; Black Tern at Frodsham; Marsh Harrier at Parkgate;

Hopefully more news later when we get the days totals!!

CB

Where is the best place for tomorrow on the Wirral for Leach's?? Very windy but the tide will come into play as well so wondered where stands the best chance??

What time at the Gunsight?? I can get over in the afternoon about 1ish.

1 ish should be fine, but keep an eye out for news from New Brighton as it might be best to go there first. I've got the feeling it could be something a bit special tomorrow, I can hear the wind blowing through the trees as I write this!

Monday, 13 September 2010
PLANNING APPLICATION - PLEASE HELP!
A planning application 2010/16934 has been lodged with warrington borough council to develop part of Upper Moss Side as a Model Aircraft Flying site.

A number of farmland BAP species, barn owl and brown hares use this and adjacent sites for feeding and/or breeding and also overwintering.

Objections need to be received in writing before Sep 23rd.

further details on the Moore blog;
http://moorepatcher.blogspot.com/

if you know this site please help to conserve it...

2 Leach's Petrel at New Brighton at 7.30am in 15 mins.
Also a Razorbill at the gunsite.

Shame i have to work today so happy birding all - should be a good day.

juv Sabines of Hlibre - going east. I can't see the tide edge we just now, its behind a sandbank. My strut holding the window open snapped too. Windy, I'll say

Wryneck still present early doors. Seen by me and another birder. Seen later around 10.00 by a mate who hasn't got a pager and is currently driivng to Scotland.

Brilliant seawatch off gunsites - at least 2 Sabs Gulls (adult & juv), Sotty Shearwater - picke dup 2 minute slater by other birders further west and then by Jane 10 minutes later. We saw probalby the same bird again briefy about 3 hours later. More Leach's than I've seen since 2004 , 2 Strom Petrels, Manxies, Bonxies, Arctic Skuas, Kittiwakes (adults and juvs)large numbers of Guillemots, singles of Fulmar and Razorbillls.

Moved down to Dove Point on the ebb and there was a steady stream of Auks & Leach's Petrels moving west along with (probably) the same 2 Sabs.

A tremendous spectacle tinged with sadness. Some of the birds were absolutely exhausted.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back