• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

Went back again later for the Macc Waxies (can't get enough me) and had trouble locating them. Finally found them where I'd left my car on B&Q car park! They were eating rowan berries this time.

Nice one :t: will take a look tomorrow some time around lunch

What is the old 3 Pigeons land like for berries at the moment? They were there in good numbers a few years ago

from what i've seen sunday is the biggest tide in november, but it's not at the tipping height for the whole thing to be flooded like it was last year, so i'm not sure if the trip over would produce a big enough tide effect.

could one of our experts comment please

CC
Remember if the wind is helping in the right direction and is strong enough it could be higher than the predicted... worth the trip anyway :t:

CC
Remember if the wind is helping in the right direction and is strong enough it could be higher than the predicted... worth the trip anyway :t:

are you going?,

though the pressure forecast is quite high, and the wind is offshore and very light so nothing there to help it get higher.

Last edited:
What is the old 3 Pigeons land like for berries at the moment? They were there in good numbers a few years ago

From memory there's not much in the way of Rowans - more Cotoneaster. In that locality I'm guessing they'd probably be more interested in the rowans at the back of the indoor market where there's plenty of berries. Crap location for watching them tho'.

A bit of colour...

yes great news that they are still there.... until the heavy rain came and they dispersed rather quickly at about 3pm

6 birds in total generally chilling out and mostly preening.

Good to meet you Victor, :t: catch you down there over the next few days if they stick around

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_9996.jpg
    IMG_9996.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 57
Kelsall Waxwings

12 Waxwings in the area of the Yeld car park near Kelsall this morning. Found 6 soon after we arrived despite being assured by the 5 birders already in the car park that they were gone ;)

As well as taking berries the birds all spent some time flycatching from the tall trees.

Last edited:
Good to meet you Victor, :t: catch you down there over the next few days if they stick around

Dave

Yes, good to meet you too Dave, and Peter also. In fact I did more talking than watching having met up with lots of guys I'd not seen since the last Waxwing 'twitches' a couple of years ago. :t:

Nice image that Dave. You did well there as the light was very poor later on. Here's a few I took.

P.

Attachments

• Waxwing-berry-mouth-birdfor.jpg
    Waxwing-berry-mouth-birdfor.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Waxwing-great-crest-birdfor.jpg
    Waxwing-great-crest-birdfor.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Waxwing-sexy-bits-birdforum.jpg
    Waxwing-sexy-bits-birdforum.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 49
Update for yesterday - 3 Leach's Petrels, Black-throated Diver, Great Northern Diver, 6 Red-throated Divers, a late Sandwich Tern, 8 Purple Sandpipers and 5 Little Egrets at Hilbre; Ruddy Shelduck at Pickering’s Pasture; Goshawk over Hale; 6 Waxwings at Macclesfield (nr B+Q car park) – 2nd day; 12 Waxings at Delamere (Yeld Lane car park)14 Mandarins at Rostherne Mere; Brambling & Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR

CB

Yes, good to meet you too Dave, and Peter also. In fact I did more talking than watching having met up with lots of guys I'd not seen since the last Waxwing 'twitches' a couple of years ago. :t:

Nice image that Dave. You did well there as the light was very poor later on. Here's a few I took.

P.

Did you get any more good images this morning Victor? Bfb got a few more shots this morning.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back