• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (3 Viewers)

Waxwings . Gemini retail park warrington . Just thought id share this with you all . I've been after these beauties all winter with no luck I'd pretty much given up hope on finding them . Then today as I'm walking home from work I see a flock of what I thought where starlings in the line of birch trees to the side of the Audi garage . As I get closer I realise they sound different then I notice the unmistakable crest and realise it's a flock of waxwings I counted 14 . I couldn't believe it , less than 20ft away . Watched them for maybe 5 mins before they flew off towards marks and spencers . Only down side is I didn't have my bins , they'll be in my work bag tomorrow that's for sure , just hope they stay around .

News for today - Caspian, Iceland and 2 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Glaucous Gull at Sandbach Flashes;

Yesterday – 2 Bitterns at Budworth Mere; 14 Waxwings at Warrington; 2 Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers at Upton Meadows; 4 Woodcocks at Risley Moss;

CB

Belated news from weekend -

Sunday 27th Feb – Possible Hooded Crow at Burton Marsh; 50 Waxwings at Northwich; Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Poynton Pool; 183 Brent Geese at Hilbre; 6 Spotted Redshanks at Inner Marsh Farm; 20 Purple Sandpipers at New Brighton Marine Lake;

Saturday 26th Feb – Iceland Gull at Wigg Island; 2 Med Gulls roosted at Acre Nook SQ;

CB

Good views of male lesser-spotted woodpecker at Moore early pm. Bird was on the "usual" tree near the boardwalk. Nice to hear it calling a few times too.
Also,a couple of virtually complete summer-plumaged Med gulls on Pumphouse.

Todays news - Glaucous & Med Gull at Sandbach Flashes; Bittern at Budworth Mere; 2 Little Gulls at Chelford SQ's; Bittern and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR; 47 Scaup at Hoylake;

Yesterday - 2 Caspian, 3 Iceland, 2 Med and 5 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank/Arpley Tip; 2 Iceland, Med and Yellow-legged Gull at Sandbach Flashes; 32 Waxwings at Chester; 2 Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers at Budworth Mere; 24 Scaup at Hilbre;

CB

March 4th - Glaucous and Iceland Gulls at Sandbach Flashes; 20 Waxwings at Chester; Bittern at Budworth Mere; Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and 2 Med Gulls at Moore NR; 6 Crossbills at Macclesfield Forest; 155 Brent Geese and 5 Red-throated Divers at Hilbre; 2 Scaup at Doddington Pool;

March 3rd - Glaucous Gull at Sandbach; 32 Waxwings at Crewe; 3 Iceland and 7 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; 11 Woodcocks at Risley; 23 Whooper Swans at Macclesfield Forest; 16 Purple Sandpipers at Hilbre;

March 2nd - Whimbrel over Wallasey Golf Club; Bittern, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Common Scoter, Iceland, Glaucous and 2 Med Gulls at Moore NR; Glaucous Gull at Sandbach; 44 Scaup and 40 Common Scoters at Dove Point, Meols; Greenshank at Heswall Shore;

CB

Today - Bittern at Moore NR; Glaucous and Yellow-legged Gull at Sandbach Flashes; 40 Waxwings at Lower Peover; 40+ Scaup, drake Eider, two Yellow-legged and a Mediterranean Gull at Hoylake; Mandarin at Redesmere;

Yesterday - Water Pipit at Neston Sewage Works

Mar 5th - 2 Water Pipits at Neston Old Quay; Med Gull at Redesmere

CB

Today - Water Pipit at Neston Sewage Works; 21 Waxwings at Chester; 47 Scaup at Hoylake;

Yesterday - 22 Corn Buntings at Culcheth; 2 Green Sandpipers at Rixton;

CB

Today - Yellow-legged Gull, Mediterranean Gull, 42+ Little Gulls, Black-throated Diver, 32 Red-throated Divers, 75 Kittiwakes, 2 Razorbills and 60 Guillemots at Hoylake; Glaucous, Iceland and Yellow-legged Gull at Sandbach Flashes; 2 Spotted Redshanks at Inner Marsh Farm.

Yesterday – Fulmar, 2 Yellow-legged and Mediterranean Gull at Hoylake; 2 Iceland and 7 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank;

CB

Glaucous and Iceland First Winters still at Pump House Flash, Sandbach this afternoon. Both very pale and almost sat next to each other at one point! Also reported here today, but not seen by me, were adult Yellow-legged and adult Caspian Gull.

JP

White Wagtail

A White Wagtail by West Kirby Marine Lake this morning. Seen by one of the Rangers, to quote - "Cracking fresh plumage! 100% on the I'D".

Expect the first Wheatear to follow within a day or two! |:d|

Glaucous and Iceland First Winters still at Pump House Flash, Sandbach this afternoon. Both very pale and almost sat next to each other at one point! Also reported here today, but not seen by me, were adult Yellow-legged and adult Caspian Gull.

JP

I think i left before the Glauc came in I did catch up with the Iceland though. Cracking views of Moores favourite resident pecker today 11am:t:

After yesterdays report of a White Wag at West Kirby I went down to the shore first thing, more in hope than anything else, and managed a stunning ghostly male between the end of the prom and Pinfold steps. There was little else apart from 3 Stonechat ( 2 females, 1 male ) in the dunes. I only got 2 Hares and a pair of Kestrel as I crossed the Langfields on my way home, and there were only 12 Blackwit, 17 Teal and 2 Shoveler on the 'new' pond opposite Gilroy.

Chris

Yesterday - Caspian, Glaucous, Iceland and Yellow-legged Gull at Sandbach Flashes; Sand Martin at Chelford SQ's; White Wagtail at West Kirby ML; Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore; 2 Avocets at Inner Marsh Farm; 2 Scaup at Doddington Pool; 2 Hen Harriers at Parkgate; 86 Little Gulls at Hilbre;

Late news for Mar 10th - Great Northern Diver, 174 Brent Geese, 2 Guillemots and Razorbill at Hilbre;

CB

Marbury

Crackin' day at Marbury CP. Bittern sat in the open on the reeds for 20 mins at 09:00. Ravens nest building in the Big Wood by the canal and also by the canal but not seen by myself was a LSW. Green Woodpecker at Neumanns. Early afternoon over the mere was a Sand Martin. I'll tot up later but reckon it was a big day species wise.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back