• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (4 Viewers)

Which day for the high tide this weekend? For the last one I went with the tide forecast from the BBC and arrived on the Monday. Needless to say it did quite get to the wall, infact it missed the wall by about 25metres!

Also there must be another place along that area other than the Bath House carpark with just as good views.

Any advice from members would be welcome.

I am a huge fan of Gayton - the tide comes in earlier, there is less of a scrum - I'm really not a fan of being stood in a chattering mass of birders.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=830&ax=326525&ay=380025&lm=0

If the tide is a whopper - you can still circumnavigate Parkagate and get to Neston before it floods.

Parking is tricky if there are a lot of people doing the same however. Park short of the last turn on the left and walk down. The sea wall to your left is narrow for 60ft, but then there is quite a wide gap when you get level with the Gold Course

Which day for the high tide this weekend? For the last one I went with the tide forecast from the BBC and arrived on the Monday. Needless to say it did quite get to the wall, infact it missed the wall by about 25metres!

Also there must be another place along that area other than the Bath House carpark with just as good views.

Any advice from members would be welcome.

High tides are 9.6m, 10m and 10.1m at Hilbre on Sat, Sun and Mon respectively. Try this site for tide times - http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/SelectPort.aspx.

I found the last high tide was really good but I avoided Parkgate completely. Difficult to pick somewhere along the estuary which doesn't get loads of birders on the high tides.

CB

High tides are 9.6m, 10m and 10.1m at Hilbre on Sat, Sun and Mon respectively. Try this site for tide times - http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/SelectPort.aspx.

I found the last high tide was really good but I avoided Parkgate completely. Difficult to pick somewhere along the estuary which doesn't get loads of birders on the high tides.

CB

Also try http://www.pol.ac.uk/appl/liverpool.html which has two months of tide times.
Agree with Jane about Gayton (or just a few yards further south by Heswall Golf Club), this is by far the best place to see Short-eared Owls on a big tide and is just as good for Harriers as Parkgate - and has far fewer birders than the Old Baths.
Park along Cottage Lane and walk towards Parkgate until you get to the Golf Course. Weather isn't looking too promising for a big tide. |:(|

CB

Also 10.1m on Tuesday.
From the Dee Estuary Newsletter (times are for Liverpool, Parkgate usually about 20 to 30 mins later):
20th March, 11.18hrs (GMT), 10.1m.
21st March, 12.00hrs (GMT), 10.2m.
22nd March, 12.44hrs (GMT), 10.1m.

Todays news - Osprey over Lymm; 2 Iceland and 5 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; 5 Avocets and 3 Spotted Redshanks at Inner Marsh Farm; White Wagtail at Houghton Green Flash; 12 Little Gulls and Red-throated Diver at Hilbre; 2 Wheatears at West Kirby Shore;

Yesterday - Glaucous Gull, Little Ringed Plover and 4 Sand Martins at Sandbach Flashes; Wheatear at Moore;

CB

Saw a chiffchaff at linnet clough near marple on thursday along with a couple of bullfinches 2 buzzards and a sparrowhawk ,looks a good area and very quite :t:

Todays news - probable American Herring Gull at Meols Shore; Black-necked Grebe and Sand Martin at Houghton Green Flash; 4 Avocets at Frodsham; Med Gull at Winsford; Greenshank and 21 Common Scoters off Leasowe; Green Sandpiper at Gilroy NR, West Kirby; Hen Harrier and Merlin at Heswall; 2 Scaup and 3 Sand Martins at Doddington Pool;

CB

So I am hoping that Moore will give me more of a chance in seeing one.

Tim.:-C

well it did the business for me last year, saw one on the first visit, but like i said i was trudging round the place for a full 12 hours searching.

i may partake of this delight next weekend if it's decent weather.

Hi All

Headed up to Moore to try my luck at seeing a LSW had no luck in that respect but its a reason to go back.
Did see a couple of foxes chasing each other and a rabbit which made for some interesting viewing at the hide near the tip.
Saw a gull which I think is a Common Gull but hoping someone here can give a more positive id.

Cheers

Tim.

Last edited:
Got my first Chiffchaffs of the year earlier this afternoon at Jackson's Brickworks in Poynton. Got one in the bins feeding, and heard another singing at the same time. Well chuffed!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back