• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

Cetti's at Wigg Island

Thanks to Mr Brandreth for originally pointing me in the right direction for the Cetti's Warbler at Wigg Island - had really good if somewhat brief views this morning. Heard him singing to start with then very obligingly he sat up in a small bush for me :t: The Cetti's that was not Mr Brandreth ;)

Last edited:
He really should learn to control himself in a nature reserve ;) ;) ;)

Chris

Chris your witty response made me think - was the bird actually sitting up or down in the tree. Either way he wasn't causing any problems as I was the only person there at the time and since Cetti's was a life time first for me he could have been sitting up, down or sideways as far as I was concerned :bounce::bounce:

Sid

Todays news - Firecrest at Elton; Iceland Gull at Sandbach Flashes; 3 Black-necked Grebes at Houghton Green Flash (5 present yesterday); Bittern at Budworth Mere; House Martin at Alsager; 6 Sand Martins, 4 House Martins, 2 Swallows and 4 Spotted Redshanks at Inner Marsh Farm; 2 House Martins at Thurstaston; 3 Sand Martins and Crossbill at Red Rocks; 10 Sand Martins at Hilbre;

CB

lesser spotted woodpeckeer showing well at moore today. not on the usual tree but in the usual area.
plenty of drumming and calling helped to track it down.

only took about 90 minutes to find it this year, compared with the full 12 hours last year.

also 4 tree creeper sighted.

Today - Black-necked Grebe at Houghton Green Flash; 2 Wheatears, Willow Tit and Green Sandpiper at Marbury CP; Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR; 3 House Martins and 2 Wheatears at Leasowe; Greenshank and Willow Warbler at Heswall Shore; c600 Meadow Pipits, 12 Sand Martins, 5 Wheatears and White Wagtail at Hilbre; Hen Harrier and Stonechat at Burton Marsh;

Yesterday - Little Ringed Plover at Budworth Mere;

CB

slightly over the border,but,coming back from Cumbria (having seen nothing of interest) as we approached Ormskirk I thought I saw a White Stork in a field - when we got home I asked Shell who also so it "yep - that was it!" bollocks - if anyones anywhere near please tell me it was a big plastic bird scarer and not a half glimpsed mega rarity!

South of M58 on the Western approach to switch island.

There was an escaped White Stork near to Pilling yesterday but I don't think that has been seen today, so it's possible it could be the same bird

There was an escaped White Stork near to Pilling yesterday but I don't think that has been seen today, so it's possible it could be the same bird

Thank the lord! it was about 70mph and a fleeting glimpse but I am 98% certain,even if it is a category C :t:

cheers for the info!

Had a day out in cheshire today to try and see the lesser spotted woodpecker ,first stop marbury no luck but we saw a tawny owl and a late brambling Then on to moore 1 had been seen in the morning and we saw photos of it they are not a myth as we first thought a nice conserlation prize was a black necked grebe from the first hide on the pool beging with b also saw the said owl

Attachments

• moore owl.JPG
    moore owl.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 79
slightly over the border,but,coming back from Cumbria (having seen nothing of interest) as we approached Ormskirk I thought I saw a White Stork in a field - when we got home I asked Shell who also so it "yep - that was it!" bollocks - if anyones anywhere near please tell me it was a big plastic bird scarer and not a half glimpsed mega rarity!

South of M58 on the Western approach to switch island.

Other White Stork sightings today - Halton in Lancs and Tebay in Cumbria.

CB

Today - 5 Black-necked Grebes, 6 Little Ringed Plovers and 30 Whooper Swans at Houghton Green Flash; Black-necked Grebe and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR; 4 Waxwings at Birkenhead; Little Ringed Plover at Inner Marsh Farm; Greenshank and 5 Wheatears at Heswall; 3 Wheatears and Greenshank at Leasowe; 14 Chiffchaffs along Wirral way between Parkgate and Gayton; Med Gull, Brambling, 2 Wheatears and 2 Little Ringed Plovers at Marbury CP; 5 Wheatears at Alsager;

CB

Todays news - Osprey over West Kirby and Greasby; Ring Ousel at Leasowe; 1,700 Meadow Pipits, Sandwich Tern, Willow Warbler, Little Egret, 10 Gannets and Merlin at Hilbre; Common Scoter at Moore NR;

Yesterday – Osprey over Moore NR; Marsh Harrier at Risley Moss; 12 Waxwings at Macclesfield; 10 Little Gulls, 110 Brent Geese and 6+ Purple Sandpipers at Hilbre; Avocet at Inner Marsh Farm; Brambling at Sutton; Greenshank and 200+ Meadow Pipits at Leasowe Lighthouse; 5 Wheatears, 20+ Chiffchaffs and a good movement of Meadow Pipits at Red Rocks;

Belated news for Mar 26th - Black Redstart reported at Chelford SQ’s; Red Kite at Sutton; 30+ Waxwings at Macclesfield;

CB

An addition to the above CB - Red kite over Weston Point heading North at 9:15 this morning over Runcorn,perfectly described by one of our Landscape Architects...

Not picked up again:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back