• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (3 Viewers)

Apologies for the lack of reports the last two days but i've been ill. Logged on this morning to find i'd missed two megas!!!

Managed to catch up with the Broad-billed Sandpiper but news of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper still being present didnt reach me until it was too late to go back!!

Sun - Sanderling at Neumann's Flash; Garden Warbler and White Wagtail at Leasowe; Avocet and Whimbrel at Frodsham;

Yesterday - Curlew Sandpiper off Hoylake;

CB

Todays news so far - Broad-billed Sandpiper at Hoylake still; Garganey and Spotted Flycatcher at Marbury CP, plus a count of Warblers included 95 Blackcaps, 72 Whitethroats, 45 Reed Warblers, 44 Chiffchaffs, 43 Willow Warblers, 21 Garden Warblers, 9 Sedge Warblers and 2 Lesser Whitethroats;

CB

Yesterday - Broad-billed Sandpiper and Little Stint at Hoylake; Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Whimbrel and Marsh Harrier at Frodsham; 2 Hobbies at Leasowe; 4 Turnstones at Neumann’s Flash;

Tues May 17th - Broad-billed Sandpiper at Hoylake Shore; Garganey and 3 Whimbrel at Neumann’s Flash;

CB

Wednesday evening (18th ) the buff-breasted sand was showing really on Frodsham No 6, feeding vigorously. A superb bird. Then at 8.30 is briefly settled to roost before suddenly flying, rapidly gaining height and heading north - we lost it over Speke somewhere!

Great to see breeding ringed plovers on there with chicks.

Frodsham No 6 is looking a bit special at the minute!

Morning walk through the Paddington Meadows reserve showed two thing required for Sundays AOL Adult Education event – Migrants and Meanders!

Plenty of swifts,housies, swallows and sand martins in the air and lots of Migrant warblers – chiffies and willows and blackcaps and whitethroats…

http://arteryoflife.co.uk/

10-til 12:30 if anyones around the Warrington area. Larkfield Avenue.

Frodsham

Wednesday evening (18th ) the buff-breasted sand was showing really on Frodsham No 6, feeding vigorously. A superb bird. Then at 8.30 is briefly settled to roost before suddenly flying, rapidly gaining height and heading north - we lost it over Speke somewhere!

Great to see breeding ringed plovers on there with chicks.

Frodsham No 6 is looking a bit special at the minute!

Just a word of warning with regards Frodsham. At present their is a large colony of Brown-tailed Moth caterpillars creating a large mass of fine white silk-like material along the raised hedgerow at No6 tank. Please take care as the silk material and caterpillars can cause great irritation.

CB

Todays news -Broad-billed Sandpiper and Curlew Sandpiper at Hoylake plus Osprey over; Garganey at Marbury No1 tank plus Whimbrel at Neumann's Flash; Whinchat and 2 Spotted Flycatchers at Red Rocks;

Yesterday - 7 Little Stints reported at Frodsham; Little Tern off Hoylake;

CB

There was a L Egret at Hoylake today plus some migrant warblers at RR 2 Reed Warblers in the gardens in addition to the 9 pairs in the marsh - also 2 WW

Brown-tailed Moth Caterpillar colony at Frodsham

Its like a set off the X-Files down there!

Attachments

• IMG_9412a.jpg
    IMG_9412a.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9413a.jpg
    IMG_9413a.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 51
LRP question

I have a pair of LRPs on my patch on the Cheshire/Staffs border but after at least three weeks have shown no sign of breeding. Where will most pairs be up to in their breeding cycle at the moment?
Jason

I have a pair of LRPs on my patch on the Cheshire/Staffs border but after at least three weeks have shown no sign of breeding. Where will most pairs be up to in their breeding cycle at the moment?
Jason

Many other pairs in Cheshire currently have young. These birds may be non-breeding birds or young birds just learning the ropes of breeding.

CB

Todays news - possible Sooty Shearwater, 275+ Gannets, 325 Manx Shearwaters, 25 Fulmars and a Curlew Sandpiper at Hoylake; 35 Gannets and a Manx Shearwater at Hilbre; Little Stint and Marsh Harrier at Frodsham; Spotted Flycatcher and 2 Willow Tits at Moore NR; Garden Warbler at Lindow Common; Cuckoo at Leasowe;

CB

Spent an hour and a half at Perch Rock this evening to see if anything interesting was tracking back south after the stormy winds earlier, very distant and therefore probable shearwaters [3], lots of terns fishing and the usual Turnstone, Oystercatcher and Ringed Plover. Unidentified small dark fast bird off the sea and gone before I could get the bins on it! Really enjoyable if short sea watch :)

Todays news - 700 Gannets, 300 Manx Shearwaters, Cuckoo, 2 Arctic and 2 Great Skuas at Hilbre; Great Skua, 100+ Gannets and 50+ Manx Shearwaters at Hoylake; Garganey at Neumann’s Flash; 2 Avocets and 1 Hobby at Inner Marsh Farm;

Yesterday - Red Kite at Lower Withington;

Belated news of Sacred Ibis at Gawsworth on 19th;

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back