• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

Today - Great White Egret at Parkgate; 9 Curlew Sandpipers at Burton Mere Wetlands; Curlew Sandpiper at Leasowe; 9 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Mediterranean Gull at Neumann's Flash; Green Sandpiper and 40 Grey Partridges at Woolston Eyes;

Yesterday - Great White Egret at Burton Mere Wetlands in evening; 2 Little Stints at Parkgate;

CB

Any No what is the nearest train stn to Burton wetlands IMF please and how far thanks.

Also has any one heard of any possible sightings of a rough legged buzzard in north Cheshire east merseyside as think this is what I and a mate were watching for over an hour today in field just to west of hale marsh both of us think what we were looking was juv/1st winter RLB but could not get close enough to get positive ID we did ask farmer could we go down side of field to get better look but no joy did get good look at breast down to base of tail uperside and undersides of wings and head but not of legs or tail.
My mate is going to see if can get another look and taking camera tomorrow.
:cat:MIKE|=)|

Any No what is the nearest train stn to Burton wetlands IMF please and how far thanks.

Also has any one heard of any possible sightings of a rough legged buzzard in north Cheshire east merseyside as think this is what I and a mate were watching for over an hour today in field just to west of hale marsh both of us think what we were looking was juv/1st winter RLB but could not get close enough to get positive ID we did ask farmer could we go down side of field to get better look but no joy did get good look at breast down to base of tail uperside and undersides of wings and head but not of legs or tail.
My mate is going to see if can get another look and taking camera tomorrow.

Hi Mike
Neston station on the Bidston to Wrexham line, trains are reasonably frequent. It's about three miles to Burton, if you like you could walk down to the shore path at Neston and walk to Denhall Lane at Burton past Neston reed bed etc. There are buses between Neston and Burton but I don't know how often they run.

Hi Mike
Neston station on the Bidston to Wrexham line, trains are reasonably frequent. It's about three miles to Burton, if you like you could walk down to the shore path at Neston and walk to Denhall Lane at Burton past Neston reed bed etc. There are buses between Neston and Burton but I don't know how often they run.

Hooton Station is on Merseyrail's Wirral line and is 4.3 miles away, you can cycle or bus it (once an hour) to Burton and then walk the 600m to the entrance, from here its a 700m walk down through the woods to the reception building.

The advantage of Hooton to many is that trains regularly run between Liverpool and CHester/Ellesmere port whereas to get on the Neston Station (3.4miles from BMW) you have to change if travelling from these areas.

You can always get a taxi from Hooton or Neston too but for th efull day option a walk along the RSPB's Burton marsh is stunning (IMHO)

Great day to day along North Wirral and Hilbre - Leach's, all four species of skuas, Sab's Gull............
Wind is due to go round to North-west this evening and stay that way all night and tomorrow. Wind is going to ease a bit tomorrow but it will still be Force 5/6 - so I would expect it to be even better for birds, particularly for Leach's Petrels.

Hi Mike

Thanks neston great I only need to change at shotton comeing from runcorn east. dont mind walking
Thanks

Today - Sabine's Gull, 54 Leach's Petrels, Storm Petrel, Long-tailed Skua, 3 Fulmars, Little Gull, 30 Guillemots, 6 Razorbills, 5 Brent Geese, 6 Barnacle Geese and 6 Great Skuas at Hilbre; Sooty Shearwater, 11 Arctic Skuas, 12 Great Skuas, 3 Long-tailed Skuas, 19 Leach's Petrels, 18 Skua Spp and 5 Brent Geese at Hoylake Shore; 30+ Leach's Petrels, Long-tailed Skua, 2 Sabine's Gulls, 5 Great Northern Divers, 2 Fulmars, 2 Little Gulls, Mediterranean Gull and 4 Red-throated Divers at New Brighton; Long-tailed Skua, Sabine's Gull, 8 Leach's Petrels and Pomarine Skua at Leasowe Lighthouse; Long-tailed Skua and Leach's Petrel at Wallasey; 5 Curlew Sandpipers at Burton Mere Wetlands; 5 Wheatears and Green Sandpiper at Rixton; House Martins still feeding young in a nest at Helsby;

Apologies if i've missed anything.

CB

Yesterday - Sabine's Gull, 8 Leach's Petrels, 2 Long-tailed Skuas, 46 Arctic Skuas, 10 Great Skuas, Grey Phalarope, Little Gull, 32 Guillemots, 13 Razorbills, Blue Fulmar, 3 Curlew Sandpipers and 3 Pomarine Skuas at Hoylake Shore; 2 Long-tailed Skuas, 2 Leach's Petrels, 4 Great Skuas, 10 Arctic Skuas and Brent Goose at Hilbre; Long-tailed Skua, Sabine's Gull and 6 Leach's Petrels at Red Rocks; 7 Leach's Petrels, Balearic Shearwater and 2 Brent Geese at New Brighton; 3 Leach's Petrels and Great Skua at Leasowe Lighthouse; 5 Leach's Petrel west past Wallasey Lifeguard Station; Great White Egret, Mediterranean Gull and 3 Curlew Sandpipers at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Todays news so far - Grey Phalarope, 9 Leach's Petrels, 6 Arctic Skuas, 4 Great Skuas and Mediterranean Gull at Hoylake Shore; 12 Leach's Petrels and 2 Mediterranean Gulls at Wallasey Lifeguard Station; 4 Leach's Petrels and Manx Shearwater at New Brighton; 5 Leach's Petrels and Brent Goose at Leasowe Gunsite;

Yesterday - 5 Whooper Swans over Parkgate then at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Todays news so far - Grey Phalarope, 9 Leach's Petrels, 6 Arctic Skuas, 4 Great Skuas and Mediterranean Gull at Hoylake Shore; 12 Leach's Petrels and 2 Mediterranean Gulls at Wallasey Lifeguard Station; 4 Leach's Petrels and Manx Shearwater at New Brighton; 5 Leach's Petrels and Brent Goose at Leasowe Gunsite;

Yesterday - 5 Whooper Swans over Parkgate then at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Pale phase Arctic Skua out of the Mersey 7.45ish, Med Gull also in mouth plus plenty of Petrels difficult count as they were back and forth

Last edited:
Only saw one GWE this morning
20+ Little Egrets
1 imm Peregrine
2 Kestrels
11 Swallows
18 Dunlin
6 Ringed Plovers

all from Donkey Stand Flash

Today - 2 Great White Egrets and 11 Swallows at Parkgate; Curlew Sandpiper and 4 Whooper Swans at Burton Mere Wetlands; Spotted Redshank at Frodsham; Mediterranean Gull at Leasowe; 31 Redwings at Sutton, Macclesfield; c650 Linnets, 31 Grey Partridge and Merlin at Winwick;

Also good passage of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits past Hoylake this morning

Yesterday - Skua spp and Red-crested Pochard at Frodsham; 2 Curlew Sandpipers and Little Stint at Parkgate; 5 Curlew Sandpipers at Meols shore.

CB

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back