• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (3 Viewers)

Marsh harrier (juv), Peregrine (juv fem), Lanner type (not the same one as at IMF: smallish, slim bird, thin brown moustachials, very white face, buffy forecrown, pale nape patch, brown mantle & wings (pale fringes); barred brown, pale-tipped tail.

Also a fem-type Red-crested pochard, 1 Little stint, Golden plovers, 100s Lapwings.

Marsh harrier (juv), Peregrine (juv fem), Lanner type (not the same one as at IMF: smallish, slim bird, thin brown moustachials, very white face, buffy forecrown, pale nape patch, brown mantle & wings (pale fringes); barred brown, pale-tipped tail.

Also a fem-type Red-crested pochard, 1 Little stint, Golden plovers, 100s Lapwings.
Were all of these at Frodsham Marsh H ?

Which area of No6 was the RCP favouring? Was it associating with anything else?

CB

Today - 3 Leach's Petrels and Long-tailed Skua in the River Mersey Mouth; 3 Leach's Petrels at Leasowe Gunsite; Leach's Petrel at Wallasey Lifeguard Station; Red-crested Pochard, Little Stint and Marsh Harrier at Frodsham; Black-necked Grebe at Woolston Eyes; Curlew Sandpiper at Pickering's Pasture; 4 Little Egrets and Jack Snipe at Moore; 4 Whooper Swans at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Sorry folks - yes this was all at No.6 tank.

While we were there all the duck were highly mobile, (what with all the BOPs present!) and the RCP was moving around with the rest. When we last saw it it was not too far from the SW corner, but had spent most of its time NW. Loosely associating with the teal & Wigeon.

quick question, what tide hight is needed to flood parkgate,

there's some decent ones look to be coming round 26th to 28th, but i can't for the life of me remember what height jane said it needed to flood.

i also now have less than a month left to achieve my personal target of all the british grebe species within 12 months, i still need red necked, so if anyone hears of one i would greatly appreciate hearing about it too. :)

Last edited:

there's some decent ones look to be coming round 26th to 28th, but i can't for the life of me remember what height jane said it needed to flood.

i also now have less than a month left to achieve my personal target of all the british grebe species within 12 months, i still need red necked, so if anyone hears of one i would greatly appreciate hearing about it too. :)

Those tides are worth a shot ... depends on weather conditions though. Low pressure is pretty vital.

Don't expect it to come up to Parkgate unless it is at least 9.8m. The stronger the wind (SW to NW) and the lower the atmos pressure the more likely it is to cover the marsh. Most 10m tides and above do cover the marsh, but if wind is in the east with high pressure, probably won't.
Tides are Oct 27th, 9.9m, 1151hrs. Oct 28th, 10.0m, 1236hrs. Oct 29th, 9.9m, 1320hrs.
I've known a 9.6m tide come roaring over the marsh with a gale and intense low pressure, and a 10.2m during warm calm weather not to come anywhere near!
Tide always comes in both nearer and sooner at Riverbank Road, Heswall, where there is a great view of the marsh from the car park. So on a day it looks like it won't reach Parkgate, try there.

10 metres and an onshore wind is preferable but lower tides with strong onshore winds will still flood the marsh.

As for R.N.Grebe in Cheshire, well don't hold your breath. Best chance is over the border in Manchester or Lancashire.

CB

Today - Pomarine Skua, 15 Leach's Petrels, Sabine's Gull, Puffin, 109 Kittiwakes, 19 Arctic Skuas, 2 Long-tailed Ducks, Velvet Scoter, 500+ Common Scoter, 14 Guillemots, 9 Barnacle Goose, 4 Arctic Terns, 3 Razorbills, 17 Sandwich Terns, 47 Common Terns, Great Skua, Little Gull and Fulmar at Hoylake Shore; 10 Leach's Petrel at New Brighton; 4 Whooper Swans at Burton Mere Wetlands; 7 Brent Geese at West Kirby Shore

Yesterday – Common Tern at Alsager Mere

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back