• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (3 Viewers)

Has anyone counted these birds for their UK list ?
John, as I said to you, go see them they're lovely birds - birding should be about enjoying the birds rather than seeing how big a list you can get.

I saw them in flight this week and they are in my book now - after all who can be definite about their background ;)

John, as I said to you, go see them they're lovely birds - birding should be about enjoying the birds rather than seeing how big a list you can get.

I saw them in flight this week and they are in my book now - after all who can be definite about their background

You can always catch them and do DNA and Isotope analysis! ;)

Agree 100% with your first comment.

Hello this Sunday I should be free and with the huge range of birds on offer around the Dee Estuary I think this is goin to be my no1 choice.

I will be travelling from 1 hour away approximately so need to make the most of my journey.

Ideally the birds I would like to see in this list are:-

1. Bean Goose

2. Spotted Redshank

3. Purple Sandpiper

4. Woodcock

5. Jack Snipe

6. Common Scoter

7. Scaup

8. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

9. Water Pipit

10. Snow Bunting

11. Lapland Bunting

12. Red-throated Diver

13. Bewick Swan - they were present a month ago - any idea where they have gone?

14. Black Resdstart

The above would all be first for me. Birds I would love to see but I have seen before would be Glaucous Gull, Yellow Legged Gull, Iceland Gull, Bittern, Great White Egret, Glossy Ibis, Rock Pipit, White-Fronted Geese, Brent Geese, Short-eared Owls, Barn Owl,

Places where I want to visit then:-

1. Richmond Bank for Yelllow-Legged and Iceland Gull
2. Burton Mere for Bean Geese
3. Moore NR – Bittern and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
4. Risley Moss for Woodcock
5. Neston Old Quay for Water Pipit also Lesser Spotted Wodpecker seen here too
6. New Brighton for Purple Sandpiper
7. Budworth Mere for Bittern and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
8. Meols for Common Scoter
9. Doddington Pool for Scaup

It is a very big list and probably not achievable in a day but considering the birds listed 1-14 and the places listed 1-9 how would this day be organized so I can see as much as possible on a short winter day. I may get there at the earliest about 9am. Finish can be anytime.

How would I plan this day and how close are these places to one another? I know most of these birds will move around. By Sunday they would have probably all gone. LOL.

Your advice and guidance is much needed and appreciated!

An impressive target list. As others have said, the above list should be split into a couple of days at least.

Richmond Bank - if your visiting at weekend, go on Saturday (preferably am) and check when high tide is at the nearby Fiddler's Ferry.

Moore - Bittern reasonable chance at Eastern Reedbed but LSW is not always easy and can require some searching.

Risley Moss - Woodcock best seen at dusk

Neston - Water Pipit can very erratic here and carefully check the id to avoid confusion with Scandinavian Rock Pipits. LSW are not regular at this site as far as i'm aware but deeestuary will confirm.

Budworth Mere - Good chance of Bittern but patience is required. LSW can be tricky.

Doddington Pool - This site is quite out of the way from others sites and best combined with Sandbach Flashes. View from road only here.

CB

@ deeestuary – do the Bean Geese move around then? What are the best times?
Are there Spotted Redshank present at the moment at IMF?

@ sid ashton – thanks for the tide time. I looked for it and on a website I got the tide time until Friday. Risley Moss is outside of Warrington so that will be miles away. I was wondering if that place is worth stopping off at but I can do that anytime. It is not as far as the others. I could also get Woodcock elsewhere. Moore can be shifted too. Since there is a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at BMW I may not have to go there at all. Good to see a Spoonbill drop in. I saw my first British Spoonbill in July 2011. All these foreign white long-legged birds in the area. It would be cool if a Glossy Ibis turned up to. Would they get together and all have a good moan?

Re: Spotted Redshanks, I understand birds have been seen recently on both the old Inner Marsh Farm and the new Burton Mere Wetlands parts of the reserve.

Re: Risley Moss, definitely worth a visit towards the end of the day. You could get up to 20 birds flying over. Worth a visit.

CB

Belated news for Jan 14th - Iceland Gull and Yellow-legged Gull at Chelford SQ's;

Belated news for Jan 15th - Glossy Ibis reported over Arclid SQ; 7 Whooper Swans at Chelford SQ's;

CB

Yesterday - Spoonbill, 12 White-fronted Geese, Jack Snipe and Marsh Harrier at Burton Mere Wetlands; 2 Iceland Gulls, 4 Yellow-legged Gulls and Mediterranean Gull at Richmond Bank; Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR; Merlin and 4 Red-legged Partridges at Marbury CP;

CB

Today - Green-winged Teal at Sandbach Flashes; Spoonbill at Parkgate; 3 Tundra Bean Geese, 25 White-fronted Geese and 11 Spotted Redshanks at Burton Mere Wetlands RSPB; 5 Iceland Gulls and 5 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank;

CB

Re: Risley Moss, definitely worth a visit towards the end of the day. You could get up to 20 birds flying over. Worth a visit.

CB

Just a reminder - if anyone visits Risley Moss for Woodcock, don't leave your car in the car park as the gates are locked at 5.00pm, park elsewhere and walk in, you can exit through a side gate. At the moment if you arrive around 4.30pm you should see Woodcock. Walk down to the tower hide, stand in front of the hide and face right (looking into the setting sun). The Woodcock will come just before it goes dark, though they're very fast, so concentrate! If you scan the furthest corner towards the right end of the landfill you should get Short-eared owls too. Rhododendron clearance is causing some disturbance at the moment but I saw five Woodcock on Monday evening, plus at least four SE owls.

And you won't need a scope!

Cheers
Jonathan

Quiet today - Green-winged Teal at Sandbach Flashes; Scaup still at Doddington Pool;

Yesterday - Glossy Ibis and 3 Iceland Gulls at Sandbach Flashes

CB

Last edited:
The greenwinged teal again at sandbach flashes today . The glossy ibis nor any of the Iceland gulls have not been seen since Sunday last don't know where you got your info from

Today - Green-winged Teal at Sandbach Flashes; Great White Egret and Hen Harrier at Parkgate Marsh; Water Pipit and Hen Harrier at Neston; Water Pipit reported at Denhall Lane; 2 Iceland Gulls and 4 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; 3 Mediterranean Gulls at Leasowe Gunsite; Willow Tit at Marbury CP;

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back