• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

Yesterday - 2 Whooper Swans at Sandbach Flashes; 200 Brent Geese at Hilbre; 6 Woodcocks at Risley Moss; 21,000 Knot at West Kirby;

Also of note - Grey Seal at Richmond Bank apparently present in the area for a couple of weeks.

CB

Are we sure this is a Grey? There has been a couple of common seal around that where reaching Howley Weir last month...

Great White Egret on the border pool and is visible in the distance from the reception building remember that IMF is closed on Tuesdays.
34 Bewick's have jsut left us

Budworth LSW

I can't quite believe it but after 40 years I finally managed to get my glasses on a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Budworth Mere - Halleluiah !

Thanks to all those who made it possible: Greg Baker, Sid Ashton, Dave Hughston and his mate Vernon.

Greg, Sid and I glimpsed you as you were leaving Budworth early this morning, just as we were arriving ( Sid recognised you in the distance ) Fortunately, we then bumped into Dave and Vernon at the hide and, being the expert and helpful local birders that they are, took us straight to the trees along the path favoured by the birds. Within a few minutes the female appeared on the double boughed Alder, giving excellent views as she searched for food, completely oblivious to the fact we stood only feet away. It's all so simple if you know the right people !!

Highly delighted after putting this bogey bird to rest, we then moved on to search for the Bitterns - it's self a bogey bird for Sid on this site as he's never managed to see one here. We looked as hard as we could but they weren't in view today, so we decided to move on.

Second target bird of the day was the Spoonbill at Parkgate. Within 30 - 40 minutes of leaving Budworth we had it in our scopes, standing 80 yds behind the Donkey Stand out on the Marsh, giving excellent views. Almost too easy ! But we weren't complaining.

Then on to BMW ( via Well Lane for the Egyptian Goose, but no sign ) and a look at the new screen over looking the pools to the left of the reception hide - which gives very good glass free views !! Unfortunately a flock of Bewick Swans had departed the area just before we arrived, so that was a slight disappointment.

A final stop on the way home for a look at the Egyptian Geese at Rostherne also proved negative, but the Spoonbill and the LSW were the birds we really wanted to see today, so we were more than happy.

A good day.

Last edited:
Other news for today - Great White Egret, 32 Bewick's Swans and Little Gull at Burton Mere Wetlands; Glaucous Gull at Meols; Iceland Gull and 6 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR;

CB

Are we sure this is a Grey? There has been a couple of common seal around that where reaching Howley Weir last month...

The one I saw at Richmond Bank a couple of weeks ago looked like a Common to me ...

Seems to be some debate about the Seal at Richmond Bank, since my post. There have been several reports of either a grey or common seal in the river since January 4th when a Common Seal was seen at Howley Weir. A Grey or Common Seal at Pickerings Pasture on several occasions with reports of a Grey Seal at Spike Island. Maybe the two Seal theory? Whichever Seal it is, it's still an interesting record.

CB

Seems to be some debate about the Seal at Richmond Bank, since my post. There have been several reports of either a grey or common seal in the river since January 4th when a Common Seal was seen at Howley Weir. A Grey or Common Seal at Pickerings Pasture on several occasions with reports of a Grey Seal at Spike Island. Maybe the two Seal theory? Whichever Seal it is, it's still an interesting record.

CB

at the time of the Howley Wier report there where at least 3 different Commons, initially described as a mother and calf, then a mate of mine saw a darker more advanced juvenile - this was during a period of very stormy weather and when a number of seals ended up in RSPCA's and the like...

Here is the Howley youngster:

Attachments

• seal pupsmall 002.JPG
    seal pupsmall 002.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 82
Spoonbill and Great White Egret both off Parkgate between Boathouse and Donkey Stand Flashes this afternoon. Also 10 Bewick's Swans on BMW and 3 Spotted Redshanks on No1 pool at IMF.

Other news for today - Great White Egret, Spoonbill and Hen Harrier at Parkgate; 50 White-fronted Geese at Burton Mere Wetlands; 2 Bitterns at Budworth Mere;

Yesterday - Iceland Gull at Sandbach Flashes

CB

Other news for today - Great White Egret, Spoonbill and Hen Harrier at Parkgate; Glaucous Gull, Iceland Gull and Mediterranean Gull at Richmond Bank; 2 Bitterns at Budworth Mere; 8 Bewick’s Swans at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Today - Great White Egret, Spoonbill and Hen Harrier at Parkgate; 45 White-fronted Geese at Burton Mere Wetlands plus 2 Spotted Redshanks on IMF lagoons; Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR;

Also no news on yesterdays report of Garganey at Burton.

CB

Hi,

Are there any good place to seawatch in Liverpool? Mainly to look for cetaceans but for birds as well. If there is do you have a post code?

I'm over for the weekend.

Many thanks

Chris

Hi,

Are there any good place to seawatch in Liverpool? Mainly to look for cetaceans but for birds as well. If there is do you have a post code?

I'm over for the weekend.

Many thanks

Chris

Crosby, Formby and New Brighton. No idea what the post codes are, you'll have to look on the map. No chance of seeing cetaceans in this wind, though! Porpoises and Dolphins can occur but pretty rare, and you need a flat calm sea.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back