• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

Thanks Richard,

I got here abit late anyway so will get up first thing to seawatch for a couple of hours. Hopefully it won't be too windy tomorrow.

Chris

Today - Great White Egret, Spoonbill and 2 Hen Harriers at Parkgate; Snow Bunting at West Kirby Shore; 2 Iceland Gulls, 3 Yellow-legged Gulls and Mediterranean Gull at Richmond Bank; White-fronted Goose at Hale;

CB

Just returned from Chester. Good day at Burton Mere on Saturday. Got the hen harrier and marsh harrier, lack tailed godwit and lovely to see so many hundreds of lapwing. (North Gwent has lost most of its lapwing due to idealist industrial regeneration.) Cheers!

Today - Great White Egret, Spoonbill, Hen Harrier and 1,000 Pink-footed Geese at Parkgate; Iceland Gull at Richmond Bank; 44 White-fronted Geese, Greenshank and 2 Spotted Redshanks at Burton Mere Wetlands; Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Bittern at Moore NR; 10+ Crossbills at Macclesfield Forest;

CB

Moore LSW

A pleasant walk around Moore NR on Sunday for another unsuccessful bittern foray. After passing a phalanx of folk surveying the trees for long-departed LSW on Lapwing Lane I was however fortunate to blunder straight into a favourable view of one in trees surrounding the field beyond the back of the car-park. A lifer for me (with an identifiable photo for a change)!

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 93
A pleasant walk around Moore NR on Sunday for another unsuccessful bittern foray. After passing a phalanx of folk surveying the trees for long-departed LSW on Lapwing Lane I was however fortunate to blunder straight into a favourable view of one in trees surrounding the field beyond the back of the car-park. A lifer for me (with an identifiable photo for a change)!

Nice photo!

I have been told of short eared owls at Frodsham with specific reference to No6 tank. Can anyone provide a map reference please and what exactly is the tank being referred to?
Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

a good photo, the eye colour suggests a first year bird (browner rather than red). Presumably confirms their breeding last year in the area.
regards
Hugh :t::t:

Presumably confirms their breeding last year in the area.
regards

Not sure that breeding took place last year Hugh - as far as I recall there was no sign of any youmg and there were no reported sightings of a female. So far this year I believe only the male has been seen again unless anyone has seen otherwise.

a good photo, the eye colour suggests a first year bird (browner rather than red). Presumably confirms their breeding last year in the area.
regards

Thanks Richard & Hugh! That is interesting information. The eyes appear more pigmented in other pictures I took, therefore perhaps Sid is correct in that this may be the same solitary male that was around last year.

dystopian

Yesterday - Great White Egret, Spoonbill and c1,100 Pink-footed Geese at Parkgate; 2 Water Pipits at Neston Old Quay; Smew at Tatton Mere; 3 Iceland Gulls and 10 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Spotted Redshank and 3 Bewick’s Swans at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Nice afternoon in imf hide at BMW today! Distant view of marsh harrier beyond the barn, also what appeared to be bewicks swans flying in/out.
Brilliant to find the c50 whitefronts by puddington on the way back!

Bradinho: from imf hide there appears to be a new screen to the right of reception , is this yours?

Yesterday - Great White Egret, Spoonbill and c1,100 Pink-footed Geese at Parkgate; 2 Water Pipits at Neston Old Quay; Smew at Tatton Mere; 3 Iceland Gulls and 10 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Spotted Redshank and 3 Bewick’s Swans at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

There ar at least 3 Smew in the North-west - one at Leighton Moss one at Tatton Mere and another at Deans Clough Reservoir in East Lancs, where I got my first Smew today!
10 Yellow-Legged? Is that a site record?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back