• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

Hi Greg,

Your possible Kumlien's is probably a pale 1w Herring Gull, I possibly photographed the same bird last Saturday. I would say on your photos the patterniang of the scapulars and tertials are very Herring Gull. Compare it to a 1w I photographed in 2009 here.

Cheers
Jason

Thanks Jason. Your photo looks like a good fit - first impressions are always a good guide and initially it looked like a Herring Gull but with an almost perfect Kumlein's outer wing pattern. I ended up thinking possible Kumlein's given that I would have expected such a bleached primary wing pattern to have been replicated elsewhere in the overall plumage.

In response to CB, I only heard about the Am Herring Gull when I got home. No sign of it or anything similar when I was there.

Standing Stones
14 crossbills, siskin, redpoll and brambling.

2 wheatear at Danebower, curlew, numerous meadow pipits, red grouse, pair of stonechat.

Phil

todays highlights for us,

started at red rocks, first bird we saw was black redstart, 8 goldfinch,6 chaffinch, 4 meadow pippits on the dunes and 3 skylarks singing over the golf course, 1 ring ouzel right in the middle of the reeds sat oin a tree.

on to park gate for all the usual stuff plus spoonbill putting on a show on the left hand end of donkeystand flash

next stop burton mere 2 buzzard being disgracefull in the field by the side of the entrace road, 10 avocets on the pools in front of the visitor center. jack snipe, 4 common snipe and about 100 redshank from the hide.

stopped in at moore on way back but only great spooted and green woodpecker to show for our efforts.

Today - Kumlien's Gull and 2 Iceland Gulls at Richmond Bank; Meally Redpoll trapped, 20 Chiffchaffs, 22 Goldcrests and Willow Warbler at Hilbre; 2 Black-necked Grebes at Houghton Green Flash plus 8 at nearby Woolston Eyes; Ring Ousel, 3 Twite, 2 White Wagtails and 200+ Meadow Pipits at Leasowe; Merlin at Rixton; 11 Chiffchaffs counted between Heswall and Thurstaston;

CB

Last edited:
Four hour walk round no6 tank at frodsham marsh late am early pm today got me good views of SEO perched in small tree at side of tank 11 Avocet 50+ Golden Plover 20 Lapwing 30+Tuffed Ducks plus Shell Ducks and 2 Gadwall on tank and small flock of Sand Martins low over loads of sky Larks Meddow Pipits Reed Buntings around tank plus female Marsh Harrier and later Female Hen Harrier both hunting over reeds on no6 then 2 pairs and a lone male Stonechat along lordship lane not a bad few hours at all, got a pic of SEO below
|=)|MIKE:cat:

Attachments

• short eared owl 1.JPG
    short eared owl 1.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 54
Four hour walk round no6 tank at frodsham marsh late am early pm today got me good views of SEO perched in small tree at side of tank 11 Avocet 50+ Golden Plover 20 Lapwing 30+Tuffed Ducks plus Shell Ducks and 2 Gadwall on tank and small flock of Sand Martins low over loads of sky Larks Meddow Pipits Reed Buntings around tank plus female Marsh Harrier and later Female Hen Harrier both hunting over reeds on no6 then 2 pairs and a lone male Stonechat along lordship lane not a bad few hours at all, got a pic of SEO below
|=)|MIKE:cat:

Great photo, thanks for posting! :t:

Today - Kumlien's Gull and 2 Iceland Gulls at Richmond Bank; Meally Redpoll trapped, 20 Chiffchaffs, 22 Goldcrests and Willow Warbler at Hilbre; 2 Black-necked Grebes at Houghton Green Flash plus 8 at nearby Woolston Eyes; Ring Ousel, 3 Twite, 2 White Wagtails and 200+ Meadow Pipits at Leasowe; Merlin at Rixton; 11 Chiffchaffs counted between Heswall and Thurstaston;

CB

Photo of undertail coverts of Mealy (Common) Redpoll below. Completely unstreaked. We saw it in the field first with three Lesser Redpoll and later caught them in one of the heligoland traps. It was a definite finch day with 6 species being ringed - Common Redpoll, Lesser Redpoll, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch & Linnet. The lingering mist meant a number of birds were grounded and we also cuaght the first Willow Warbler of the year amongst the CHiffchaffs and Goldcrests. We didn't catch any Goldcrests Sunday but to date have ringed about 120 -130 spring. A very good number.

Attachments

• Mealy Redpoll1 utc 240312.jpg
    Mealy Redpoll1 utc 240312.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 29
Yesterdays other news - Spoonbill at Parkgate; Ring Ousel reported at Burton; 4 Twite at Leasowe; 4 Spotted Redshanks and 10+ Avocets at innner Marsh Farm; Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore;

CB

Difficult to know as a lot of the reports are coming from the Bird Info services.

CB

I would tend to agree with Jason that the bird in the original pic is a Herring Gull, I`ve seen a couple like that at Richmond Bank this winter.The second report of a juv Kumliens was from an experienced Guller who has seen Kumliens before, but I don`t think anyone will have been down there to check it out as the light conditions must be awful down there this week( too sunny).

Today - Bittern, Little Ringed Plover, Brambling, 9 Avocets and 2 Spotted Redshanks at Burton Mere Wetlands; 6 Wheatears and 2 Twite at Leasowe; Willow Warbler and 6 Chiffchaffs at Hilbre;

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back