• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

National Insect Week next week so to celebrate we're having a few events at Burton Mere Wetlands.

www.rspb.org.uk/burtonmerewetlands

Saturday 23rd June we'll have a few moths on display in the morning
Sunday 24th June we'll be taking a guided walk around looking for winged inverts
Sunday 1st July we'll be taking a walk around looking for bees and other pollinators

The last two events need booking so phone 0151 353 8478 to reserve a place

In bird news we have had a green sandpiper, med gull and hobby this morning

I've had a weird day - a Yellowhammer at Red Rocks - first ever June record and even weirder, the world most vocal Lesser Whitehthroat in the garden

This is a camcorder recording the calls when I was trying to see it - At the time I was convinced it was a rarity since it started off doing a lot more of the Sedge Warbler-like rattles and was doing the weird wheep call (just one on this recording at 46 secs) every other call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8MrbW6C-9g

Today – Red-crested Pochard at Neumann’s Flash;

Yesterday - Little Gull at Leasowe; Green Sandpiper and Mediterranean Gull at Burton Mere Wetlands; Short-eared Owl at Burton;

CB

Danebower Ouzels

Ring Ouzels have successfully bred in the Danebower quarry area this year.
Male and Female adults were feeding a juv. female this morning near the tower.

Jason

Jason
Good news indeed but only one juv?

I understood that Ring Ouzels can have clutches of 5 or 6 eggs so what can have happened to the others? Infertile eggs, predation etc, etc presumably.

Whilst were on the good news, the Black-necked Grebes at Woolston seem to have had bumper breeding season.

CB

Hi CB

Yes it has been a good year at Woolston, the Grebes have been declining steadily since their peak of 52 adult birds in 2002. It was starting to look as if it was following a trend of the birds slowly moving south over the years . However this year has seen a realy good increase in numbers and no doubt partly due to the Mink monitoring progrramme I introduced a few years back. Next year it will be an interesting to see what happens.

Jason

Excellent sighting thanks Jason. We have had no evidence that they have bred on the Cheshire side of the quarry unfortunately this year, despite some seaching. On why only one young, predation is highly probable, corvids and foxes etc most likely culprits, a pity they dont automatically double or treble brood like our urban Blackbirds, might help with the population if they did!They are also difficult to sex in juv plumage before their partial moult, both males and females appearing very similar with males showing some discernable lighter pectoral band as the only difference.

Excellent sighting thanks Jason. We have had no evidence that they have bred on the Cheshire side of the quarry unfortunately this year, despite some seaching. On why only one young, predation is highly probable, corvids and foxes etc most likely culprits, a pity they dont automatically double or treble brood like our urban Blackbirds, might help with the population if they did!They are also difficult to sex in juv plumage before their partial moult, both males and females appearing very similar with males showing some discernable lighter pectoral band as the only difference.

Sunday 10th June at around 8pm I also saw a single Juvenile this time with a lone male - I will spend a few more hours up there in the next few days so will see if I can update further with more good news.

I had seen Stoats in the area last year so predation by this species is highly likely
Dave

just got back. walked from my house to new brighton... crippling views the whole time i was there, sometimes zipping only a few feet above our heads as it repeated its circuit. brilliant!!! apparently found by some guy from wolverhampton

Good news indeed but only one juv?

I understood that Ring Ouzels can have clutches of 5 or 6 eggs so what can have happened to the others? Infertile eggs, predation etc, etc presumably.

Thats what I thought. The way Ouzels are going at the moment, a single juv is not going to help sustain a breeding population. Who knows, maybe the others have already dispersed though or were still in the area but unseen.
They can be incredibly difficult to see. I have seen birds over towards the Cat and Fiddle and down at Three Shires Head so they may roam quite a bit. I did look at all those rocks and imagine how many stoats live in there...

Last edited:
Hi folks, saw the weather forecast last night and thought it might be worth a visit to New Brighton prom to see if there were any Petrels about but didn't expect to find a Little Swift. After a few minutes I decided to see if I could find any local birders knocking about but found nobody so went back to original spot near the red buoy, after another 15 mins or so Mark Turner arrived. I asked him how his Little Swift ID was (it was a first for me) and that was that. Luckily Mark contacted several locals who appeared pretty quick and the news spread rapidly after that. Hopefully it hangs around for more people to see and good luck for those going. James Thorpe.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back