• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

Today - Long-billed Dowitcher at Burton Mere Wetlands; Great White Egret and 3 Spotted Redshanks at Parkgate; Black-necked Grebe at Houghton Green Flash; 92 Brent Geese, Whimbrel, Sandwich Tern and Yellow Wagtail at Hilbre; 5 Sandwich Terns at West Kirby Shore; 2 Whooper Swans at Shotwick Fields.

Yesterday - Little Egret at Woolston Eyes

CB

Corvid fest at Red Rocks today. 25 Rooks, 14 Jackdaw and 4 Jays (all passage). The Isabelline Blackbird managed to make me think White Thrush as it flicked thought the end garden, looking all golden and big in flight, then I remembered!

Corvid fest at Red Rocks today. 25 Rooks, 14 Jackdaw and 4 Jays (all passage). The Isabelline Blackbird managed to make me think White Thrush as it flicked thought the end garden, looking all golden and big in flight, then I remembered!

Excuse my ignorance.......when you say "(all passage)"---how do you know that? e.g. why can they not be resident ?
That's a serious question.....not being flippant.

Excuse my ignorance.......when you say "(all passage)"---how do you know that? e.g. why can they not be resident ?

Have you been to Red Rocks? Not much in the way of resident birdlife there. "Passage" can refer to local as well as national movements and I'm sure Jane has a pretty good view of what is and isn't passing through.

There are no local breeders,though Jackdaws are getting closer, they were passing SW at height too (apart from the Jays which bottled it and went south)

Here is the distibution of records by half month

Attachments

• corvids rr.jpg
    corvids rr.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 54

A good question.
Given the right place, the right weather conditions and the right time of year Visible Migration (i.e. passage) is obvious when it is taking place, sometimes spectacular and usually predictable.

See the pages below of previous years Visible Migration at Red Rocks.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=29968&highlight=red+rocks&page=4

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=29968&highlight=red+rocks&page=8

Also take a look at:

http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/news1010.htm

Oct 2nd - Great White Egret, Marsh Harrier and 2 Whooper Swans at Burton Mere Wetlands; Red-breasted Goose at Redesmere; Black-necked Grebe at Houghton Green Flash; Whimbrel at Hilbre; Common Tern at Neumann's Flash; 2 Little Stints at Hoylake;

CB

Yesterday - Glossy Ibis reported at Bosley Resr; 2 Great White Egrets, Merlin and 5 Spotted Redshanks at Parkgate; 3 Yellow-legged Gulls at Sandbach Flashes; 2 Marsh Harriers and Hen Harrier at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Today - Great White Egret and 12 Greenshanks at Parkgate; Black-necked Grebe at Houghton Green Flash; 3 Wheatears at Leasowe; Marsh Harrier at Frodsham; Little Egret at Hilbre;

CB

Today - Great White Egret and 12 Greenshanks at Parkgate; Black-necked Grebe at Houghton Green Flash; 3 Wheatears at Leasowe; Marsh Harrier at Frodsham; Little Egret at Hilbre;

CB

Are these posts round ups of sightings from the area or do you actually visit all these in a day? :eek!:

Are these posts round ups of sightings from the area or do you actually visit all these in a day? :eek!:

They are summaries to hopefully encourage more birders to visit our county. I can't guarentee all sightings are gen tho as they are from many sources. I've been posting them for some time now and i hope birders enjoy them.

CB

Today - Great White Egret at Parkgate; 2 Garganey, Whooper Swan and Marsh Harrier at Frodsham; 3 Little Stints at Hoylake; Brambling and 22 Jays at Red Rocks;

Yesterday - Garganey at Inner Marsh Farm hide.

CB

Nice afternoon at Moore. Loads of buzzards, couple of willow tits, plenty of jays around, tufted ducks + little grebes, a good few gadwall, couple of gc grebes.
Disappointed that all the feeders at the feeding stn weren't there!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back