• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (6 Viewers)

Yesterday - Caspian Gull and 7 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Black Redstart at Inner Marsh Farm building by car park; Firecrest, Woodcock and 2 Rock Pipits at Leasowe; Barn Owl at Parkgate;

CB

Today – American Golden Plover at Pickering’s Pasture; 3 Waxwings at Knutsford; 3 Whooper Swans at Rixton; 3 Twite and 2 Rock Pipits at Leasowe; Scaup at Woolston Eyes;

CB

The reported American Golden Plover still present, amongst c.800 Golden Plovers on the river mud in front of the Pickering's Pasture car park at 14.00 this afternoon. Went along with John Barber and arrived just in time to beat the rain :t:

Last edited:
Today - American Golden Plover at Pickering's Pasture; Caspian Gull at Richmond Bank; Great White Egret, Mealy Redpoll and 2179 Redwings at Hale; 2 Great White Egrets at Burton Mere Wetlands; Waxwings at Backford Cross (one), Knutsford (42) and Leasowe (2); Slavonian Grebe at Leasowe; 191 Brent Geese and 3 Purple Sandpipers at Hilbre;

CB

American Golden Plover

I notice on another blog that some of the Frodsham birders are not sure the AGP isn’t in fact a late moulting European Golden Plover. They are suggesting anyone going to view the bird check out the ID features and join the debate.

I notice on another blog that some of the Frodsham birders are not sure the AGP isn’t in fact a late moulting European Golden Plover. They are suggesting anyone going to view the bird check out the ID features and join the debate.

I have a few vids if its any help if it isnt certainly a strange one, strong super and follows the eye around at the back from distance it look scaly grey and pale.At times you pick out a few flecks of golden on the wings, Slightly smaller and not as chucky as the goldens, Regulary bullied. I never saw the underwings which I quess would be the clincher :C so I cant comment. Id be happy putting down as a American But I dont know me ass from me elbow.

Quick Check of vids when walking legs look long

Edit reported as GOLDEN on birdguides :-C

Last edited:
Yes, now being reported as a European Golden Plover.

I went out early this morning to take a second look at this bird after having seen it yesterday afternoon at Pickering Pasture. Unfortunately I never got there because of road closures and diversions relating to the Runcorn Bridge. So I diverted to Frodsham and went to view the no.6 tank.

Several hundred Golden Plover were present around 8.30am, close to the viewing position and in good light. After a few minutes I picked out a bird which looked almost identical to yesterday’s bird at Pickering Pasture ( possibly the same bird ?? ) So I carefully watched it for about twenty minutes, until it finally raised and stretched it’s wings, revealing white axillaries – so this particular bird wasn’t an American GP.

An interesting Chiffchaff at Red Rocks this morning.... presumably of Eastern origin, but not looking or calling quite like any other I've heard. A rather large rangy grey-toned bird,with black soft parts, big super and a weird call - it sounded like a very distant Chaffinch,with a little less harsh finish. Gave me a right old run around...and was looking more like Willow Warbler before I saw it properly never managed a photo, but you can see it in the video.... which would have been longer, but since the bird appeared, I opted to look at it instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOyoUYvp7XE

Waxwings in Cheshire

Does any one know where the Waxings have been seen this morning in Knutsford?

I am not having a good morning, as I have just dipped on the female Scaup at Woolston and then I find out the American Golden Plover at Pickering Pastures that I was planning to go and see has been re classified as a European Golden Plover.

Does any one know where the Waxings have been seen this morning in Knutsford?

I am not having a good morning, as I have just dipped on the female Scaup at Woolston and then I find out the American Golden Plover at Pickering Pastures that I was planning to go and see has been re classified as a European Golden Plover.

The birds are very mobile. Initially there was a flock of 40-50 birds along Haig Road at 9.30am then the flock flew off towards Tatton Park. They returned about 30mins later. After a short period they flew off over the Railway in the direction of the recycling centre. I decided to leave Parkgate Industrial Estate to search the surrounding area for them. I found a flock of 15+ birds flycatching on a road named "Longridge" at 10.45am. I then returned to Parkgate Ind Est and found Mark Payne who thought there were up to 80 birds along Haig Road. Late morning I got a call from Mark, saying he had found a flock of c15 birds by the Post Office in Knutsford. Possibly up to 100 birds in the area.

The birds are highly mobile and flycatching so not spending much time in the berry trees.

CB

Had great close views of around thirty Waxwing at Parkgate Industrial Estate in Knutsford this lunchtime. Many of the birds were fly catching in the still air and bright sunshine. Others flew regularly down to drink at puddles by the side of the road - only feet away from people sitting in their cars taking photo's. Unfortunately, a Kestrel flew over the tree's and bushes they were perching in and flushed most of them for a while.

Had great close views of around thirty Waxwing at Parkgate Industrial Estate in Knutsford this lunchtime. Many of the birds were fly catching in the still air and bright sunshine. Others flew regularly down to drink at puddles by the side of the road - only feet away from people sitting in their cars taking photo's. Unfortunately, a Kestrel flew over the tree's and bushes they were perching in and flushed most of them for a while.

Hi John, Still around 30 on Haig Road when I left about 2.30 and still behaving as you discribe.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back