• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chicks Died (1 Viewer)

voyagerxp

This year i've had a pair of great tits in one of my bird boxes. The female had layed 7 eggs and 6 of the eggs hatched and everything seemed fine. One of the chicks disappeared not long after they hatched, not sure what happened to it but the others had been coming along well with the feathers grown and eyes opened and moving around the box. Yesterday there was 5 chicks but now there is 3, 2 big chicks and one looks dead at the bottom of the nest. Any ideas as i didn't think they were ready to fledge yet.

It makes me so sad when any bird dies. They are virtually helpless in most matters but at least it seems like you've got 2 new Great Tits ;)

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Sorry, can’t help with this question.

Welcome to Birdforum.

A friend with a nest box has had a similar experience with her great tits.

Hi voyagerxp and a warm welcome from me too. It sounds a bit like something is raiding the nest; in my mind I've discounted woodpecker, as they'd kill and take the whole lot, just coming back every few minutes for the remainder; also they'd make the hole bigger, or break through the side. So, then my mind went to Stoats, Weasels and rats. They come back more on a daily basis, taking one at a time.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

When a chick dies, the mother usually removes it from the nest box and dumps it some distance away from the nest box. So the chicks that disappeared have likely died and have been removed by the mother.

What you have observed is sad to watch, but very common. I have have seen this in my own nest box too. Usually in the beginning all is well. But after a few days chicks often start dying. I think the reason for this is that their food requirements go up at that stage and the parents have more difficulties to bring in enough food. The strongest chicks outcompete the weaker ones, so the strong survive. It is not uncommon to start off with 7 chicks and have only 2 left in the end, but it depends on the year (abundance of food) and the skills and dedication of the parents.

If they are close to fledging, then it is common that the last (already big) dead chick isn't removed from the nest.

Hi, it is sad for us humans - but biologically speaking the parents just need to “replace” themselves every year - in case they don’t make it through the winter. So 2 chicks would be OK.

WARNING - SENSITIVE PHOTO CONTENT.
Hi 👋🏻 I’m a new member and have got the same issue. It appears (as you can see from the photo attached) the dead chicks have been put to one side. Do I leave them or remove them ? Lots of flies around the box so I’m guessing they haven’t been gone for long. Any help would be greatly received.
Thank you. IMG_0136.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm so sad, I would cry over them. (My high emotional shields only extend to TV shows and I will form emotional connections with any animal) I think you should wait for the parents to remove them first, if you do they could abandon the nest.

I'm so sad, I would cry over them. (My high emotional shields only extend to TV shows and I will form emotional connections with any animal) I think you should wait for the parents to remove them first, if you do they could abandon the nest.
Apologies I should have put sensitive content on this photo. Sorry.
I did have a cry over them, felt devastated as they are my first clutch and feel very protective of them. I’m desperate for the remaining ones to survive.
This was my initial instinct as don’t want to disturb them anymore. Thank you for your help.

Thanks peeps for the welcome, its a shame about the other chicks. The last two chicks are getting bigger and look just like their parents so won't be long till they fledge. Once they leave will the use the nest again this year or not,If they would should i remove the dead chick?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back