• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chile Pelagic in March - which species to expect (1 Viewer)

Hello

We will be in Chile in March 2012 and I'm looking for info about which species to expect on a pelagic from Valparaiso at this time of the year.
Someone had already done a pelagic at this time of the year?

We plan to spend alos some days around Punta Arenas in the hope to find a Sheatbill ;-) Someone knows a good spot for htis species?

Thanks for your help

Raphaël
Belgium

Raphael, welcome to birdforum!

In the vacation trip reports part of BF you will find several reports from Chile. Even though it was the wrong time of year compared to your visit, I will link to my own: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161985

If you read in there, you will see that we spent one day with a guide around Punta Arenas. That company should be able to find you a Shearbill, but of course it will take some money ;)

Niels

Pelagics in Chile

Hello Raphael,

Check out www.humboldtpelagics.com

It might help along with the planning of your pelagic trip in March

Hello

We will be in Chile in March 2012 and I'm looking for info about which species to expect on a pelagic from Valparaiso at this time of the year.
Someone had already done a pelagic at this time of the year?

We plan to spend alos some days around Punta Arenas in the hope to find a Sheatbill ;-) Someone knows a good spot for htis species?

Thanks for your help

Raphaël
Belgium

Warning Chile Pelagics

Been back a month from Chile where I tried to get on two pelagics BUT
FAILED ON ONE DUE TO POOR ORGANISING OF A COMPANY.

Any birders trying for
http://www.aconcaguabirding.com/
or
http://www.humboldtpelagics.com/

should realise that if they book a pelagic there, the company may change
their mind one day before the trip.
They told me to get to Quintero until one day before the trip. I even had telephone contact with the guide then and he recommended two hostels near the port.
I waited in vain the next morning only to find out later that they sent me an e-mail that the trip was starting at Valparaiso which was where I came from the day I was told to go to Quintero.
A major disapointment which made me change my mind to use their services for another short tour which was way overpriced.
Luckily I succeeded in getting on another pelagic with the much
recommended Fanastico Sur (though they are expensive too).
Also the other daytrip worked out fine just by arranging a vehicle myself in
Santiago and was 100% succesful for Diademed Sandpiper Plover at Embalse EL Yeso it also gave me all the other good birds for a much lower price.

BE WARNED!! If you have to rely on Aconcagua for your pelagic you may
be in for a major disappointment !!!!

Hello

Thanks for this update about pelagics in Chile.
I have contacted Fanastico Sur for the pelagic.

Could you provide us the list of species seen during your pelagic?

Thanks

Raphaël

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back