• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing SLC over NL... (Swaro please read) (2 Viewers)

I like everything about the SLC better than the NL. No glare, no RB, better looking, no goofy side load case, no goofy overdone adjustable strap, better armor, no goofy FP strap lugs, better eye cups and on top of it you can get them for 30% less than an NL. I bought my new SLC 8x56 for about $2K, and I consider it a real value at that price.

I really like SLCs. I owned a pair of 10x42s briefly a few years ago. My pair had a nice smooth focuser, but it was just a bit slow for my taste. I also don't think 10s were right for me at the time. I have owned a pair of SLC 15s for a few years now, and still enjoy them a lot. One of my all-time favorite pairs of binoculars. Cheers to SLCs. Wishing they would bring back the 7x50s.

Actually I think Swaro needs a 30/32mm SLC again, now that they've killed off EL and have nothing between CL and NL. (How would you like a 7x30?)

I really like SLCs. I owned a pair of 10x42s briefly a few years ago. My pair had a nice smooth focuser, but it was just a bit slow for my taste. I also don't think 10s were right for me at the time. I have owned a pair of SLC 15s for a few years now, and still enjoy them a lot. One of my all-time favorite pairs of binoculars. Cheers to SLCs. Wishing they would bring back the 7x50s.
I really like my 7x50s -only downsides are weight (pretty much same as the the 15's) and FoV is adequate but not generous.

I'm a recent convert to the talents of the smaller slc's. I've yet to try the hd version or kahles helia s - this is probably a good thing for my bank balance though.

The SLC 7x42 neu has become a staple of my birding bag since picking it up a couple of weeks back. I'm a fickle beast and enjoying trying different things but am not able to keep all of them so I change optics quite often, I can see these slc's being a permanent fixtures though along with the E2 and habicht if ga 8x30.

Good view, sharp, bit of c.a, 7x stability with a 140m field, good glare control, rare to see in the field and waterproof. Just a nice honest quality optic, small in size too for its aperture if not light in weight!

IMG_20231112_085323688_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

Actually I think Swaro needs a 30/32mm SLC again, now that they've killed off EL and have nothing between CL and NL. (How would you like a 7x30?)
That is a good idea. Kind of an updated SLC 8x30 or 8x32 with an 8 degree FOV and no glare. Weight about 18- 20 oz., no FP attachments, no side load case, no adjustable strap and a more durable armor. Priced at about $1800 to compete with the SFL.

Last edited:
I really like my 7x50s -only downsides are weight (pretty much same as the the 15's) and FoV is adequate but not generous.
That is always the only downside of big apertures. Optically they are always better than a smaller aperture and almost always have less glare.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back