• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choshi Port, Chiba, Japan (1 Viewer)

Dream place the fishing port of Choshi, and very nice images!
What about a 3cy (2nd winter) Glaucous-winged Gull for the "very worn individual" Vega Gull. Take another look at the plain coverts, the bill and structure of the gull.
JanJ

JANJ said:
Dream place the fishing port of Choshi, and very nice images!
What about a 3cy (2nd winter) Glaucous-winged Gull for the "very worn individual" Vega Gull. Take another look at the plain coverts, the bill and structure of the gull.
JanJ

Hi Jan

I'm really interested you say that, because this is one of those birds I really wasn't sure of. To me the bill didn't look "strong" enough for GW Gull, I've seen Vega with similarly plain coverts, and I'm not sure that the structure - from this angle - is much help. I ran it by my brother Nial (who's lived in Japan and Korea for 15 years) and he said that he couldn't be sure from this one photo: either a Vega or a GW, but he couldn't be certain which...

I know it's "cheating" slightly but I'll amend the caption to reflect the difficulty of this one...

Cheers

It looks like a Glaucous Winged Gull to my eyes (though the primaries look a bit dark).

Easy mistake to make with Gulls in this part of the world. They're pretty tricky (as indeed they are in the UK and everywhere I guess). You're doing better than I am! In spring there are lots of really pale 1st/2nd year Slatybacked Gulls that are really confusing. And in autumn/early winter there are lots of odd adult "Herring" type gulls too. I'm sure I had Thayers a couple of months ago and there are others that seem intermediate between Slaty Backed and Herring (or Vega-are you counting that as a separates species?).

Note to self:I need to sort out some of these Gulls.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back