• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chris Packhams new series, Animals Guide to Britain, in March, (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Chris Packhams new series, Animals Guide to Britain, in March, giving animal's eye-views of coasts, freshwater,woodlands, and grasslands.

Regards
Kathy
x

Can't see any mention of it - I know they're re-showing Nature's Top 40, wasn't that you saw was it Euan?

For the love of God. What has happened to BBC wildlife documentaries? I'm only ten minutes in and it's wound me up.

The music is just bizarre (some kind of cod Lord of the Rings tribute, perhaps? or even the soundtrack from an Ealing comedy?), the cartoon sequence about Ospreys got the scientific name wrong (Pandior rather than Pandion) and Chris seemed genuinely surprised that, whislt hunting fish, an Osprey would home in on a particular patch of water before plunging in.

Please sort it out.

bluechaffinch,
Thank you! I am glad I'm not the only one. Had to switch it off. And someone should get CP an inhaler, that sounds nasty every time he breathes in.
Terrible programme, although saying that my niece, who is 4, will probably find it suits her perfectly.

I thought the general concept of the programme was good and there was some genuinely interesting stuff on water voles and beavers. However, the music was a disaster and the Pandior mistake was poor.

The programme obviously has a family target audience, it wasn't that bad but seriously what were you expecting from Chris Packham? it isn't David Attenborough, lighten up guys

The programme obviously has a family target audience, it wasn't that bad but seriously what were you expecting from Chris Packham? it isn't David Attenborough, lighten up guys

Kind of agree with you there...[and with Caper71]...

ps...biggest disappointment in the program was the fact that Packham didn't fall thru the sphagnum moss when he was bouncing up n down on it like a buffoon....[now that would have been entertaining and well worth the license fee]...;)

This is exactly my point. OK, so the programme wants to target a family audience, fine. All for that. My gripe with this one, and the recent spate of BBC wildlife programmes, is that they are hopelessly contrived and infantile. Why do you think that Attenbrough's many series (and other wildlife series e.g. Survival, Natural World) are/have been so extremely popular? It's precisely because they do not treat their audience like some bunny-hugging muppet with a two-second attention span but rely on people's inherent interest and wonder at the natural world. Why does 'family' viewing have to be different - this is not Saturday night primetime.

I actually respect Chris Packham as a naturalist - he is very knowledgeable and clearly passionate. Unfortunately, this format was well wide of the mark.

Unfortunately no-one has the gravitas of Attenborough....[could be worse tho...at least Ant n Dec don't do natural history programs...yet]...!

The world of natural history needs an equivalent of Professor Brian Cox who has done a fine job with 'cosmic matters'....

The world of natural history needs an equivalent of Professor Brian Cox who has done a fine job with 'cosmic matters'....
I think I must be the only person in the world who is impervious to the charms of Brian Cox. I am unable to cope with more than about 10 minutes of his programmes. I guess you are either interested in a subject or not; if not, no amount of gimmicks and ethereal music will create an interest.

I imagine that the budget for the David Attenborough spectaculars is many, many times that for the Chris Packham programme. I thought it was 'all right' - not especially novel but containing some interesting shots of Ospreys, Water Voles and Beavers. I didn't even notice the music. I will have to listen again on iPlayer and prepare to be offended.

Ron

I think I must be the only person in the world who is impervious to the charms of Brian Cox. I am unable to cope with more than about 10 minutes of his programmes. I guess you are either interested in a subject or not; if not, no amount of gimmicks and ethereal music will create an interest.

I imagine that the budget for the David Attenborough spectaculars is many, many times that for the Chris Packham programme. I thought it was 'all right' - not especially novel but containing some interesting shots of Ospreys, Water Voles and Beavers. I didn't even notice the music. I will have to listen again on iPlayer and prepare to be offended.

Ron

I agree...your either interested in a subject or not..no rules...!

To me tho...natural history and the nature of the universe go hand in hand and is all about attempting to understand the origins of life itself...evolution....etc..

I quite like Chris Packham and I assume most TV natural history (and science) programmes are aimed at a wider audience. I thought last night's programme was very watchable and on the whole I enjoyed it and I didn't notice the music.
I used to like David Attenborough but thesedays I think he takes himself too seriously and has become ponderous.

I think I must be the only person in the world who is impervious to the charms of Brian Cox...
Ron

There's me thinking I must be the only one Ron!

Although there was some interesting stuff in the programme (the brown/black water voles for instance), I'm afraid I found CP annoying and distracting. And yes, it's a pity he didn't disappear through the moss.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back