• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clean bins from fine sand and salt (2 Viewers)

S_Man

Eyecups always get gripped when using them on the sea/beach/boat, even rinsing with fresh water projected with moderate pressure is not enough to remove all grit.

I know I could send them for some professional cleaning (to Nikon), but I'd prefer to wait for something more serious.

Any advice?

I use just canned air usually. May rinse under the kitchen sink sometimes. I usually have kind of "designated" beach binoculars and if a grain or two of sand is on them, I don't worry about it.

I agree with Chuck. Canned air probably the best. Followed by gently flowing tapwater. I’ve bought a couple of baby hairbrushes to use to clean sand off the body and even very carefully off the lenses if other methods don’t remove all the grains of sand.

Mike

Thanks, it helped a little...

So the plastic part of one eye-cup unglued itself, I could remove it and now it's easy to clean, but the other still has some sand particles stuck in it. My experience is that grit will quickly make the eyecup loose.

A soft, fixed but removable eyecup (maybe with shorter version for glass wearers) might have been a better solution than these rotating mechanisms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back