• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cliffe Pools - Birding Hotspot or War zone !? (1 Viewer)

4John

4John
I visited the RSPB reserve at Cliffe for the first time last weekend. Whilst I can see why it has such a good reputation birds and enormous potential, I am in two minds about going back after some research on the net. There are reports of ‘hostility’ to birders, fly tipping, motor bikes and ‘illegal activity’. The advice from the RSPB is avoid Salt Lane and avoid confrontation. Sounds more like a war zone than a birding hot spot ! Can anyone who birds the area regularly fill me in on the current ‘security’ situation and give me a few do’s and don’ts ? Is all that stuff on the net well out-of-date ? Is it no worse than anywhere else these days ?!

I visited the RSPB reserve at Cliffe for the first time last weekend. Whilst I can see why it has such a good reputation birds and enormous potential, I am in two minds about going back after some research on the net. There are reports of ‘hostility’ to birders, fly tipping, motor bikes and ‘illegal activity’. The advice from the RSPB is avoid Salt Lane and avoid confrontation. Sounds more like a war zone than a birding hot spot ! Can anyone who birds the area regularly fill me in on the current ‘security’ situation and give me a few do’s and don’ts ? Is all that stuff on the net well out-of-date ? Is it no worse than anywhere else these days ?!

It has huge potential....which is Estate Agent speak for the fact that it is a dump.
You will be ok if you go left towards the Thames from the car area and double back at some point.
If you go right, just go about 1000 yards or so, no further I would suggest.

I used to bird it quite regular a year or so back, used to do a complete lap without any bother. That said, I have also been put off by some of the reports and have not been back since last winter.

Maybe find a buddy to bird with?

Cliffe - Birding Hot Spot or War Zone ?

Thanks guys. I see the RSPB wants to turn it into a 100,000 visitors a year visitor attraction, which I guess is the wildlife equivalent of Alton Towers. Doesn't float my boat, but I guess as they're spending lottery money they haven't have much choice.

Paulwfromtheden : which car area do you mean ? I parked at the end of Salt Lane by the rhino-proof fence into the reserve. The substantial nature of the fence made me nervous so I didn't venture far !

Has anyone tried access from the south or south west via Shorne for example ? Its about as far to walk to the fort, and could avoid the flashpoints.

Thanks guys. I see the RSPB wants to turn it into a 100,000 visitors a year visitor attraction, which I guess is the wildlife equivalent of Alton Towers. Doesn't float my boat, but I guess as they're spending lottery money they haven't have much choice.

Paulwfromtheden : which car area do you mean ? I parked at the end of Salt Lane by the rhino-proof fence into the reserve. The substantial nature of the fence made me nervous so I didn't venture far !

Has anyone tried access from the south or south west via Shorne for example ? Its about as far to walk to the fort, and could avoid the flashpoints.

The area after you go down that long track full of holes!

Has anyone tried access from the south or south west via Shorne for example ? Its about as far to walk to the fort, and could avoid the flashpoints.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to be so thick but what are 'flash points'?

Either we ( Joe public ) have legal access or we don't.
If we do, then no ' punk ' is going to stop me.
But, if we don't then I bow to their request. And agree
that we shouldn't be there
What rights have the R.S.P.B. in the area?

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

Flash Points etc.

Young Ian

Most of the reserve is crossed by a number of public footpaths, public byways and the Saxon Shore Way. You can see these on an Ordnance Survey map. Everyone therefore has freedom of access. I apologise for not making this clear.

However, in searching the net I found a number of sites that reported ‘hostility’ to birdwatchers, motor bikes and other ‘illegal activity’ on the reserve. Please note these are the words of others, not mine. I have no first hand experience of any of this. One site (I think it was a local RSPB group) advised against ‘confrontation’.

What appears to have happened, and I’m only a 10 minute expert, is that the RSPB bought the reserve in 2001, and in doing so came into conflict with other ‘users’ of the site whose activities were both illegal and incompatible with its new status as bird reserve. These included motor cyclists (scrambling ?) and fly tippers. In order not to make things worse I even saw advice not to publicise the fact the site had been bought by the RSPB ! The RSPB still advise against using the Salt Lane entrance because of a lack of parking, but I understand this has also been a location where ‘illegal activity’ has taken place.

There is a lot of out-of-date, or undated information on the net, so I started the thread to find out from birders currently using the reserve if all this was a thing of the past, or whether care was still required. I wanted to find out whether some areas were best avoided, i.e. there were ‘flash points’ where conflict had occurred in the past, and was therefore more likely in the future.

Apologies again for any confusion I’ve caused.

Best Regards

4John

Paulwfromtheden,

Thanks for that. I noticed you used the words 'car area' instead of 'car park' !

I did drive some way down that track, but I didn't get to the end, and drove back to the Salt Lane entrance instead. As you say - the track is full of holes and I was worried I was going do some damage to the sump or the exhaust.

Regards

4John

I used to drive through Cliffe to Pond Hill. I either parked just passed the last houses next to the grassy area and walked, or drove straight along pickles way and parked next to the first pool.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back