• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cockatoo/corella in the Netherlands (exotic) (1 Viewer)

vinividivici

This is an older record of an observation (not by me) of a supposed Cacatua goffiniana (Tanimbar Corella) from back in 2013 in the Netherlands, accompanied by 3 photos. I am apprehensive about posting someone else's pictures, so I add the link to the photos here

I feel that it might actually be C. ducorpsii (Solomons Cockatoo) rather than C. goffiniana.
Difficult to put into words, but in the former species the crest to me appears more solid, and the bird overall of a more stocky looking build. In goffiniana, on the other hand, the crest looks a little more flimsy, and the bird more slender overall. Note that the photographed bird seems fluffed up, so difficult to guestimate.
With the lighting in these photos, I am hesitant to assess the tone of the eye skin (whitish in goffiniana, more blue in ducorpsii). Additionally, I cannot discern the pinkish spot between eye and upper bill, which would identify it as goffiniana (whereas all white in ducorpsii).

No red undertail feathers (diagnostic feature for C. haematuropygia), and the remaining corellas with more darker blue and expansive eye skin can be ruled out.

Obviously, the location in NW Europe offers no hints as far as taxonomic identity is concerned.

Any thoughts or corrections?

Last edited:
I'm no expert in parrots. Eye skin looks rather bluish to me in both species, but seems to be variable / lighting dependent. I think you have a strong point with the lack of salmon coloring near the beak, but could that be diet-related? If the bird has been captive for a while, it might be carotene-deficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back