• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Code and scheme ID for metal ring on BHGull (1 Viewer)

LowellMills

Is this your Sanderling?
I've managed to (I think) get enough shots of this ring on a black-headed gull in UK this morning to assemble the full code (see linked TIFF composite), but the Scheme address is not legible and I wondered if any seasoned ring readers know what countries use these rings with the characters inscribed on their side like on a darvic ring? Just keen to hear any thoughts on full code and scheme, thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBNGJTELvcG95FDAs-PLtoTowbcHXqRN/view?usp=sharing

There was a similar BHG ring featured on Facebook recently and people suggested Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.
What do you read the ring as? The initial letter might be useful - V isn't it?

Steve

I read it as

VA3
[scheme address]

I'm most open to the idea of the second letter being a K, but I've had a respondent on Twitter read a ring with the same prefix and text direction in the neighbouring county last week, and they apparently were able to also read the scheme as Denmark, so I've proceeded from there on the form to EURING (with a link to the composite of ring photos) and hope to hear back with details or a correction!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back