• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collecting records of odd birds - hybrids, feral species & colour mutations (1 Viewer)

Yashca

Sounds like an odd request, I know, but I ended up bumping into the same hybrid Barnacle x Ross' goose five times this year at five different locations, and found the area it spanned to be quite impressive. I also saw a Chiloe Wigeon in East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire at four different locations.

I've also been trying to determine how many of each feral species there are around the county. I saw a Bar-Headed Goose at North Cave and at Hornsea Mere this year, but I know that one was reported at Nosterfield earlier this year, and one was was reported last month at Scaling Dam.

Hybrid, feral & colour mutated birds (such as leucisim and albinism) are interesting because they don't behave in a typically 'wild' manner, but their distinctiveness means that, without too much difficulty, they can be tracked from site to site, and I, for one, think it would be interesting to see if such birds have regular movement patterns or wintering areas.

So any records of such birds would be gratefully received, with a date & site (even if out of county, I will probably ask for records on other county boards as well), even if birds seem to have been resident at a single location for years.

I would not like records of hybrids between Mallard 'breeds' as these are too common and not distinctive enough, and the same goes for hybrid Canada x Greylag Geese, as these are pretty common and all look pretty much the same. Any less common goose hybrid records would be much appreciated.

As far as feral species go, I'm only interested in the ones under the threshold of being counted as a breeding species. So Red Crested Pochard is counted as a breeding bird, as is Mandarin, but Black Swan, Ruddy Shelduck & Wood Duck are not. Any records of those last three species would be much appreciated, as would records of other equally less common feral species.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for any records.

Sounds like an odd request, I know, but I ended up bumping into the same hybrid Barnacle x Ross' goose five times this year at five different locations, and found the area it spanned to be quite impressive. I also saw a Chiloe Wigeon in East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire at four different locations.

I've also been trying to determine how many of each feral species there are around the county. I saw a Bar-Headed Goose at North Cave and at Hornsea Mere this year, but I know that one was reported at Nosterfield earlier this year, and one was was reported last month at Scaling Dam.

Hybrid, feral & colour mutated birds (such as leucisim and albinism) are interesting because they don't behave in a typically 'wild' manner, but their distinctiveness means that, without too much difficulty, they can be tracked from site to site, and I, for one, think it would be interesting to see if such birds have regular movement patterns or wintering areas.

So any records of such birds would be gratefully received, with a date & site (even if out of county, I will probably ask for records on other county boards as well), even if birds seem to have been resident at a single location for years.

I would not like records of hybrids between Mallard 'breeds' as these are too common and not distinctive enough, and the same goes for hybrid Canada x Greylag Geese, as these are pretty common and all look pretty much the same. Any less common goose hybrid records would be much appreciated.

As far as feral species go, I'm only interested in the ones under the threshold of being counted as a breeding species. So Red Crested Pochard is counted as a breeding bird, as is Mandarin, but Black Swan, Ruddy Shelduck & Wood Duck are not. Any records of those last three species would be much appreciated, as would records of other equally less common feral species.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for any records.

We get a Bar-headed Goose at RSPB Saltholme and have had a weird blue phase Snow Goose type thing on the reserve for the past three years at least (not sure if it was there before the reserve opened)

How regularly does the Bar-headed Goose turn up? Any dates?
Also, the Blue morph Snow Goose, is it still around? Is it a definite Snow Goose or a hybrid? Do you know of any pictures of it?

Thanks for your information!

It's only a 'lookalike' blue morph Snow Goose, it's still around at present and had been returning for a couple of years now. It's just a hybrid Greylag. there's 6-7 odd looking hybrids on the reserve at present. Other than novelty value they're of no great note. I took a photo of it yesterday as it flew overhead, literally, as I thought it had lost a leg, but it was just holding one up as it happens.

The Bar-headed Goose turns up each winter, though this year it was on the reserve in May and then throughout June 2011 and until at least 30th July from my own records. One was at Scaling Dam Reservoir in October as well, possibly the same bird. It was in the area in December 2009 and I wouldn't be surprised it comes back sometime this month or into the New Year. I don't always record it as a sighting.

Attachments

• IMG_7020a.jpg
    IMG_7020a.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3953a.jpg
    IMG_3953a.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 85
Bar-headed Geese - there have also been 3 at Derwent Res. recently, presumably the same as were on the Northumberland coast in the summer/autumn.

You're probably best looking in the relevant annual county reports for more in depth info. Feral and escaped wildfowl are usually documented, as are hybrids etc.

Mark

IanF: Thanks for the detailed Bar-Headed info. Please let me know if/when it turns up again. The hybrid Greylag - what would you say it was hybridised with to produce that black & white plumage? May I put your photo on the hybrid bird group on Flickr, I will of course credit it to you. Are the other hybrids on site similar?

I still haven't visited RSPB Saltholme yet. I'm only at Scarborough so it would be a nice day out. Anything notable around the area additionally? Is there anywhere up there semi regular for Velvet Scoter? I've spent what feels like ages seawatching here and haven't seen one this year.

Mark Newsome: Excellent idea re contacting county recorders. That will probably be my next stop in collecting historical data.

I'd think most are Canada/Greylag/domestic hybrids. Several of the Canadas have white markings on the neck which could be leucism or interbreeding.

There are 6-7 geese on the reserve at present. They turn up every year, usually once the geese start migrating back and maybe drop onto stubble fields where more geese join them. Most of the others are varying degrees of white/mottled brown looking as if they're interbred with domestic geese. More than one person refers to them as 'Farmer Brown's' geese that have joined in the migrating flocks.

Whilst some of them may get recorded I think many birders give them the once over but don't submit records. I know of a couple of local resident Canada flocks that show a lot of variation in colour/marknigs.

The last couple of days we've had a Siberian Stonechat around but it wasn't seen today as far as I'm aware. Likewise a Grey Phalarope at Hartlepool Headland. There's lots of birds around on the reserve with large numbers of Geese, Golden Plover, Lapwing and a few Short-eared Owls and Long-eared Owls arrived back for the winter. A lingering Marsh Harrier is still around. Merlin and Peregrine are regular on the reserve and a Bittern puts in an appearance every now and again.

There's a long-staying Velvet Scoter flock of 20-30 at Seaton Carew though I've not been checking on it for a few days as this week the tides aren't that high. A decent low tide I've found is best for closer views as they feed over the mussel beds opposite the Staincliffe Hotel.

Best place for any recent sightings is to check out the sightings page on Teesmouth Bird Club in the link below. You'll find tide times there if you're planning a visit.

Thanks for all the advice Ian, I'll have to try and get up soon, maybe next week. I wouldn't have minded seeing a Siberian Stonechat or a Grey Phalarope for the year either. Do the Long Eared Owls roost or hunt in regular place/time, or are we talking sporadic views?

The Velvet Scoter flock sounds excellent, have to try and see that.

The photo of the flying goose you posted is intriguing me. It doesn't look like any domestic Greylag hybrid I've seen, and it looks more like a hybrid between one of the white geese and one of the black geese. I don't know if you noticed my question on the last post, but would you mind if I added it to the hybrid birds group on flickr for analysis? No problem if you'd rather I didn't.

The Long-eared Owls roost on the reserve. I believe the RSPB are sorting out arrangements for viewing very shortly. Usually they post details on their website, but if not then the TBC sightings page will no doubt give details. Winter viewing tends to be of roosting birds as really this time of year they're only active after dusk.

No problem with using the photo of the hybrid goose.

The preliminary thinking on your photo is that it is likely to be a hybrid Snow Goose & Canada Goose. Hopefully it will still be there when I come up next week.

How regularly does the Bar-headed Goose turn up? Any dates?
Also, the Blue morph Snow Goose, is it still around? Is it a definite Snow Goose or a hybrid? Do you know of any pictures of it?

Thanks for your information!

A Bar-headed Goose was present at Castle Lake, Bishop Middleham on 18th September this year, also a Chiloe Wigeon was noted on 1/2, 22/2 and 26/2.

NeilF - Fantastic, thanks for that. Chiloe Wigeon is one that I keep getting records about, more than I would have expected to be honest. Must be much more common in captivity that I thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back