• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longer recording using Merlin bird ID (2 Viewers)

Elkhornsun

United States
As part of the Global Bird Count the past 4 days I have been putting my iphone out on the deck outside my house and leaving it for a longer period than would be comfortable to sit outdoors. I was surprised today to have recordings of 38 species. This is the down time of year with cold and wet weather and few plants in bloom and many specifies completely absent from my area. Lots of shorebirds nearby at a slough but not on my property.

Many small birds that are difficult to photograph were picked up even with the poor microphone provided by Apple on its iphones. Have a 180-600mm telephoto lens arriving tomorrow and will start working on photographing as many of the 38 species as possible.

As part of the Global Bird Count the past 4 days I have been putting my iphone out on the deck outside my house and leaving it for a longer period than would be comfortable to sit outdoors. I was surprised today to have recordings of 38 species. This is the down time of year with cold and wet weather and few plants in bloom and many specifies completely absent from my area. Lots of shorebirds nearby at a slough but not on my property.

Many small birds that are difficult to photograph were picked up even with the poor microphone provided by Apple on its iphones. Have a 180-600mm telephoto lens arriving tomorrow and will start working on photographing as many of the 38 species as possible.
I do the same every morning I have a chance (and it's not too cold to leave a window ajar), and generally pick up 10-15 of the usual suspects. The Sony Experia microphone is good enough for Merlin. But of course the results are Merlin's, not my own, even so it gives an interesting sound picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back