• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia Birding site advice (2 Viewers)

els77777

United States
I am planning a first ever trip to Colombia this June. Due to itinerary limitations, I find myself needing to choose between either Montezuma Rainforest ecolodge or a combination of Hotel Tinamu/ Rio Blanco reserve. I would welcome any opinions/experiences from anyone who can share them, and also any specific guides recommended for Rio Blanco.

Also, curious about the relative merits of the Otun Quimbaya reserve?

Thank you,
Eliot

I am planning a first ever trip to Colombia this June. Due to itinerary limitations, I find myself needing to choose between either Montezuma Rainforest ecolodge or a combination of Hotel Tinamu/ Rio Blanco reserve. I would welcome any opinions/experiences from anyone who can share them, and also any specific guides recommended for Rio Blanco.

Also, curious about the relative merits of the Otun Quimbaya reserve?

Thank you,
Eliot
They are both great but I'd go for Montezuma. Fernando or Yesennia are excellent guides. There is something special about birding in the Choco as you never quite know what you might find. You will also see more there. Rio Blanco is great for Antpittas and night birding but beyond that is limited compared to Montezuma. If you do go Rio Blanco, I recommend Daniel as a local guide. Can't remember his surname but ask for him on booking. The other guide we were given by the lodge when there was not great.

I didn't go to Hotel Tinamou but I think it is predominantly widespread birds.

Otun is nice enough but is one flat road and there is less there than Montezuma or Rio Blanco.

Speaking from personal experience 2 trips to Colombia 🇨🇴 March 2020 (aborted part way through for obvious reasons but did Montezuma, Otun, Tinamou) and back October 2023 (Rio Blanco)
  • Montezuma we spent 2 nights (afternoon, full day, morning then out). Guided by Fernando I think. He was very good. Weather was challenging. Reckon an extra night and another full day would have been good, but if weather continues to be sketchy we may not have added much more I guess.
  • Otun was our next spot, afternoon 1 night stay and full day following. Some good owls and antpittas amongst other things
  • Tinamou was a half day fill in not originally on itinerary as COVID chaos descended and places (like Rio Blanco!) closed before we could get in. Great spot, worth supporting.
  • Rio Blanco this year probably didn't quite meet our high expectations, dipped a few key things. Think we may have had the non-Daniel guide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back