• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colouration of Hooded Crows (1 Viewer)

maplekong

Well Known For Being Inexperienced Member
England
Any description of hooded crows seems to say they are black and grey, but here the grey is distinctly pink.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this? They are so pink I've mistaken one for a jay, and one swooping by in flight for a collared dove.

I will attach photos when I find one, but this is the closest shade of pink I can find, just a little less saturated.
1689086369176.png

The "grey" very variable in my experience, and can also be influenced by lighting. I've seen dark grey, light grey, and pinkish grey as you've posted here. They hybridise with Carrion, and so darker indivuals often occur near boundaries with Carrion Crow populations. In areas of pure Hooded Crow population, the grey is much lighter, and can definitely appear pinkish, especially in certain lights. Where abouts are these observations?

sorry I was moving and didn’t see this, I’ve seen them in northern Ireland when it was raining, sun, cloudy, while they were flying, perched, foraging, and they are definitely pink. I never thought much about them for a long time, so sadly I don’t have any photos. Delia Todd has quite a similar post

Pinkish grey- interesting. The crows I've seen, in whatever lighting, whatever position look much pinker than the ones in the photo. Maybe in Ireland they are less influenced by carrion crow genes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back