• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barbary dove or hybrid (2 Viewers)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Yesterday, I had two doves sit nicely for me, in a position where I could take photos of the undertail. My interpretation is that the right hand bird is certainly a Eur Collared Dove, with grey undertail coverts and black on outer vane of the outermost tail feather. However, the other seems to be a Barbary, with white undertail coverts and lack of black on outer vane. However, is there anything indicating a hybrid? It looks like next generation will be hybrids :)
Niels
Doves 1 P1280719.JPGdoves 1a P1280728.JPG

Yesterday, I had two doves sit nicely for me, in a position where I could take photos of the undertail. My interpretation is that the right hand bird is certainly a Eur Collared Dove, with grey undertail coverts and black on outer vane of the outermost tail feather. However, the other seems to be a Barbary, with white undertail coverts and lack of black on outer vane. However, is there anything indicating a hybrid? It looks like next generation will be hybrids :)
Niels
View attachment 1550821View attachment 1550822
In what sense are you using the name "Barbary Dove"? There's confusion:

This bird has bright red eyes and pale pink feet. All the dark feathering is pale. Is it leucistic rather than albino, though (I think so)? Certainly a domestic or feral thing. As to its parentage...

In what sense are you using the name "Barbary Dove"?
In the sense of the domesticated bird that currently is considered to be derived from African Collared Dove. On this side of the Atlantic, both this and Eurasian Collared Dove originate from escaped birds.
Niels

Could you give the location, please? Thanks.
Given that the left-hand bird is pale overall I don't see any significance in its having white undertail-coverts. Neither bird clearly shows a black outer vane to the outermost tail-feather. The pale bird has less black at the tail-base, but Svensson edn 3 doesn't give any aspect of undertail-pattern as an ID feature.
I can't see a reason to think it's other than an aberrant and/or domesticated form of Eurasian collared dove.

In the sense of the domesticated bird that currently is considered to be derived from African Collared Dove. On this side of the Atlantic, both this and Eurasian Collared Dove originate from escaped birds.
Niels
So you're asking whether it's a eurasian-african collared dove hybrid? Suggest there's no way to tell (especially given its abnormal pigmentation) and there's a good chance it's got hybridity in its ancestry anyway. The undertail pattern +/- exactly corresponds to Sibley's illustration of "ringed turtle dove" so perhaps it's a pure impurity.

Could you give the location, please? Thanks.
Given that the left-hand bird is pale overall I don't see any significance in its having white undertail-coverts. Neither bird clearly shows a black outer vane to the outermost tail-feather. The pale bird has less black at the tail-base, but Svensson edn 3 doesn't give any aspect of undertail-pattern as an ID feature.
I can't see a reason to think it's other than an aberrant and/or domesticated form of Eurasian collared dove.
Location is Barbados, date yesterday, sorry for not including.

I was looking at the links in this post in a previous thread, for the signs of Barbary vs Eur. However, it is unclear to me how to recognize a hybrid based on this. Tenerife collared doves

Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back