• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Blues or something else? Germany (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hi,

I took these photos today near Mönchengladbach. Between lots of Common Blues there were two Blues which looked different. Could anyone tell me if they are also Common Blues?

For this one the upperside looks different. Size was not noticeably different from Common Blues. I'm not 100% sure the photo of the underside belongs to the same butterfly
P1350862.jpegP1350853.jpeg

The second one was noticeably smaller than the Common Blues and while the male Common Blues most of the time had their wings closed when seated, this one never closed it's wing so it was kind of hard to get a picture where you can see the underside.
P1350946.jpegP1350962.jpegP1350934.jpeg

Thank you!

Thank you for you comment.

After doing some research I also came to the conclusion that the first one is female Common Blue, I just had never seen a such a colorful one.
the second, not sure you're in range but were I in Russia, this might go down as Ida's Blue?
I'm afraid I am too far north for Ida's Blue and it would have been a bit too early for Ida's Blue in Germany (especially considering it is already looking a bit worn). So probably just a small Common Blue as it seems to have a small black spot in the cell of the forewing (visible in the last picture)?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back