• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common / Dark-capped bulbul, Kenya (1 Viewer)

Trystan

Realised that I'm taxonomically out of date on Common bulbul from birds seen in Kenya in 2006.

My birds of East Africa only covers the difference between Dodson's Bulbul and Dark-capped Bulbul, but as far as I can gather, Common Bulbul is present in Kenya too and I'm struggling to find any clear boundaries, or guidance online on how to separate Common and Dark-capped in this part of the world.

Any pointers on this would be great. I only have one image from 2006 which I've attached.

1610736761538.png

Birds of East Africa tells you all you need to know.

Three races of Common Bulbul, Dodson's is either a race of or a split from Common, depending on your taxonomic choice.

Lack of a white 'ear mark' and white, feather fringes on the breast, eliminating Dodson's, brownish, rather than blackish crown, eliminating layardi, this looks to be a tricolor Common Bulbul which is also, sometimes split as Dark-capped.

Perplexing as to why Birds of Africa, 2nd ed, doesn't go with the split of either so per that publication, Common Bulbul is, in Kenya.
And I only have the 1st ED. Avibase also includes Common bulbul in Kenya when using IOC taxonomy but it looks like that is incorrect.

P. t. tricolor makes sense, thanks very much everyone

Perplexing as to why Birds of Africa, 2nd ed, doesn't go with the split of either so per that publication, Common Bulbul is, in Kenya.
Splitting aside, Andy, the second edition explicitly says that all three ssp are in Kenya: tricolor CKe, layardi SKe, and dodsoni N & EKe (the first edition is has dodsoni in NKe but is unclear about the Kenyan status of the other two).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back