• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Kestrel Feeding on House Sparrows (1 Viewer)

Very interesting Chris. I assume that this Kestrel will continue to hunt Sparrows in this way. More like the hunting method used by the Eurasian Sparrowhawk than that of the Kestrel.

Very interesting Chris. I assume that this Kestrel will continue to hunt Sparrows in this way. More like the hunting method used by the Eurasian Sparrowhawk than that of the Kestrel.
There is a scientific study of common kestrels in Algeria where 50 % of the diet comprised of bird kills. This kestrel is following that trend. I always assumed that rodents were their main source of food. In Africa wherever there were big quantiles of birds (doves or quelias) drinking at isolated water points there would be resident
falcons taking advantage of an easy kill. Here in Spain with comparatively little or no wildlife we have created a waterhole with similar results

Kestrels have been known to hunt birds in the UK too although it is predominantly ground-feeding birds such as starlings, house sparrows and (commonest) blackbirds that are taken. Kestrels will try to hunt sparrowhawk-style but they have to catch the prey by surprise because they are nothing like as agile on the wing as the sparrowhawk once the prey has taken flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back