• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact tripod help (1 Viewer)

Hi.

I am having a bit of difficulty finding a compact, well made tripod that has the option to switch heads that have the standard thread. I currently use the Velbon Sherpa 600R which has been the only large tripod I’ve used. It is satisfyingly heavy for when that is needed, but not so good for carrying around on long walks. I’m wanting one very soon as I have a bird spotting holiday booked pretty early in May.

I can’t remember the model, but I briefly borrowed somebody else's manfrortto tripod that was very compact, sturdy and lightweight. The only thing I disliked was that the quick release plate had to have a coin or something to undo it from the camera.

I would like to be able to use my existing head from my velbon tripod (PH-157Q) and attach it to a compact one.

I have just bought a Manfrotto MKCOMPACTACN-BK Compact Action Tripod and regretted it. I thought it had a removable head but that is not the case. Anyway, it has very wobbly and flexible legs and the handle feels cheap and wobbles side to side slightly even when locked. I really don’t like the way everything is feeling so cheap these days.

I have recently also purchased a Velbon RUP-V40 monopod and for once was not disappointed with the build. Maybe this is one brand I will be lucky with.

Looking at Velbon’s site, given how much I like my 600R from the Sherpa series, I should probably go for something like the Sherpa 50, but I’m wondering why I can't find it anywhere - even from their own UK supplier. They even have a specific section on their site for discontinued products. If this was in that category, I would understand. but they make it look like it should still be available

If this is no longer possible to purchase, could anyone suggest a compact (under 1KG), sturdy tripod of a similar design that can have the heads swapped (using the same thread as the cameras have)

I currently mainly use my Panasonic FZ330 and FZ100, so a small tripod will be fine with them. I just really dislike it when the legs are so flimsy that they both wobble and flex

Many thanks.

I just google the model that you have mentioned, not too sure is that consider a sturdy model? Frankly some camp of photogs are saying the in-body stabilization or the lens OSS is good enough that you can do without 1. For me, I'll get the best tripod or monopod that I can afford, probably save up a few months or years then go for it and the next time you want to be looking to change we are talking about decades later. I just upgraded my main tripod after celebrating 10 year anniversary from my previous and its still nowhere look like 1. Manfrotto used to be a very good brand perhaps you can have a good look at a few more brands before deciding on 1. Your camera may seems light but once u zoom in your tripod will still have to be rather stable. I use a sony RX10IV as my walkabout nature camera and I use a 37mm thick (largest section) monopod to support videoing as well.

I ended up going for a second hand gitzo g026 for around £100. Seems very well made, but when the centre pole gets extended with my PH-157Q head, even the slightest bit of wind is horrendous for video footage. My tripod head must be a popular one as on the holiday I went on, virtually everybody in my group had the same one.

On the whole, although it is about half a kilogram lighter than my Velbon sherpa 600R, it is too flimsy and I have also learned that I have a strong preference for quick release leavers for the legs rather than twisting the rings. Hopefully I'll still find good uses for it, but since I've come back from the holiday, I only find myself using the 600r and I still want something more lightweight that remains stable.

Regarding my camera, at some point in the future I do expect I will get a DSLR, so I should probably also think carefully about tripods because of this. The one issue with my FZ300 is the thread is not on axis with the lens, and when the lens is extended, it does become heavy at the front. If I could adapt the plate a little, I still think my tripod head is perfect, and that is likely around 10 years old. Not sure (it is my dad's).

I use a 3 legged thing tripod and monopod. Twist legs though. Both small enough to go in hand luggage. Both more than happy taking my DSLR and lens weighing about 6kgs. In fact add the Manfrotto 393 and the weight increases. No issue with flimsy legs. I do have a Slik 33 if I want a bit of nostalgia.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back