• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Companion pair to NL pure 12x42 (1 Viewer)

Birdiee

United Kingdom
I’ve just upgraded my 20 year old mass market Binos to a pair of Swarovski NL pure 12x42s. They are utterly fantastic, just spent a wonderful morning watching red kites over the hills. However, the problem is that it’s made my husband jealous. He’s historically preferred photography to binoculars, and hasn’t used his previous pair much on our trips over the years. So if we’re going to spend silly amounts on another pair I’d quite like some that compliment my new ones rather than just buying another pair the same.

Any recommendations? If it makes a difference he wears glasses and has poor eyesight without them, whereas I don’t. Immediate use case is a safari in two months time, longer term wildlife holidays, expedition cruising and general bird and wildlife watching. While we do hike I don’t tend to carry the binoculars with me when I do, so I guess one option is a pair small enough for that, but would he then still feel hard done by?

Hello @Birdiee,

first of all, welcome to the club... :)

A good addition to the 12x would be 8x binoculars.

What exactly does it mean your husband sees poorly, does he also have astigmatism, otherwise most binoculars could be adjusted to suit his eyes using diopter adjustment if they don't have too much dioptrin, if you have astigmatism the glasses have to stay on.
And is your husband far-sighted or short-sighted?

If you want to stay within the price range, perhaps the NL 8x32, SF 8x32, EL 8x32 would be suitable.

8x32 binoculars are slightly handier than 42 binoculars and are better suited for overview observation.

In addition, the hand jitter is significantly better than with 12x binoculars.

The question is, if your husband isn't that big of a binocular freak anyway, wouldn't simpler binoculars be enough?

Andreas

I’ve just upgraded my 20 year old mass market Binos to a pair of Swarovski NL pure 12x42s. They are utterly fantastic, just spent a wonderful morning watching red kites over the hills. However, the problem is that it’s made my husband jealous. He’s historically preferred photography to binoculars, and hasn’t used his previous pair much on our trips over the years. So if we’re going to spend silly amounts on another pair I’d quite like some that compliment my new ones rather than just buying another pair the same.

Any recommendations? If it makes a difference he wears glasses and has poor eyesight without them, whereas I don’t. Immediate use case is a safari in two months time, longer term wildlife holidays, expedition cruising and general bird and wildlife watching. While we do hike I don’t tend to carry the binoculars with me when I do, so I guess one option is a pair small enough for that, but would he then still feel hard done by?
The forehead rest on the NL series is, for me, a wonderful addition. Using glasses I have an easy 3-point stabilizing setup on my NL Pure 10x42. Supplementing your NL Pure 12x42, a choice might be in the 8x range, and also consider the new CL Curio 7x21. The Curio is a gem in my eyes. It would give a pocketable alternative with wide field of view and great optics. If the two of you share optics, the 7x21 and 12x42 could make a versatile pairing.

For any choice you make, both of you should give a good amount of time trying out any binocular. Sometimes initial viewings have difficulties, or apparent flaws, which can be overcome with changing the viewing technique. The use of eyeglasses with binoculars has some issues which may crop up in initial viewing, but can be overcome. I use my optics mostly with eyeglasses these days.

Also, using the Swarovski harness makes me not notice the weight of the NL Pure 10x42 on hikes. BSP bino suspender pro

Last edited:
The question is, if your husband isn't that big of a binocular freak anyway, wouldn't simpler binoculars be enough?

Andreas
I agree, this is the real question in this thread.

Having said that, why not stick with NL quality, and get the 8X32 NL?

That would certainly “compliment” your 12X glass in side and weight, as well as field of view, etc.

Then it might be easier for you two to trade, if you should wish to do so.

You could consider an 8 or 10x32 NL, or 8x30 or even 8/10x40 SFL as a lighter alternative for hiking... but if you're only willing to bring this one on hikes you'll probably need to readjust both hinge and diopter each time you and your husband swap, which quickly grows annoying. So perhaps you'll prefer to hike with the 12x42 yourself after all... or if he eventually loses interest again, you'll just have your choice. Hard to predict how this may work out, but enjoy your new bins.

Thank you all!

“What exactly does it mean your husband sees poorly, does he also have astigmatism, otherwise most binoculars could be adjusted to suit his eyes using diopter adjustment if they don't have too much dioptrin, if you have astigmatism the glasses have to stay on.
And is your husband far-sighted or short-sighted?”

He’s short sighted with astigmatism, so I think glasses on is the realistic option. I do have the forehead rest and I love it, especially with sunglasses on, and I think it may have contributed to him liking these binoculars so much more than his previous set. I guess the two things I’m weighing up are whether a pair at half the price as condomat suggested would be just as good or if this is an “all or nothing” thing for him that he’ll only use them at all with the better clarity and field of view. And secondly the magnification. It sounds like most people suggest an 8x or 7x, so we might take a trip into London and try a few of those.

The forehead rest on the NL series is, for me, a wonderful addition. Using glasses I have an easy 3-point stabilizing setup on my NL Pure 10x42. Supplementing your NL Pure 12x42, a choice might be in the 8x range, and also consider the new CL Curio 7x21. The Curio is a gem in my eyes. It would give a pocketable alternative with wide field of view and great optics. If the two of you share optics, the 7x21 and 12x42 could make a versatile pairing.

For any choice you make, both of you should give a good amount of time trying out any binocular. Sometimes initial viewings have difficulties, or apparent flaws, which can be overcome with changing the viewing technique. The use of eyeglasses with binoculars has some issues which may crop up in initial viewing, but can be overcome. I use my optics mostly with eyeglasses these days.

Also, using the Swarovski harness makes me not notice the weight of the NL Pure 10x42 on hikes. BSP bino suspender pro

I’m interested in the fact you like the suspenders pro. I was considering getting them for myself. Are they good for all day wearing?

the 7x21 and 12x42 could make a versatile pairing.

My preferred pairing.

Sometimes I take the Habicht 8x30 because they are exceptionally pleasant to use and lightweight - I use them with glasses quite happily with the eyecups turned down but I can't really recommend them for glasses wearers - definitely try before you buy.

I’m interested in the fact you like the suspenders pro. I was considering getting them for myself. Are they good for all day wearing?
My experience with the BSP bino suspender pro has been up to about 5 hours with NL Pure 10x42 remaining quite comfortable over that period. The Swaro neck strap is less comfortable over even a one hour period, although I would find the neck strap fine for an hour if I did not have the harness. I have not worn the harness for more than 5 hours continuously.

Given the power, size and bulk of the NL 12x42, I think a more compact and less powerful bino seems like the obvious choice, so I second both the suggestion of a 8x32 and a pocket 7x21. In order to have more options, I would actually consider:

- A lightweight 8x30 in the 450 g area (even less). The Nikon M7 8x30 is a great piece of kit, as is the Nikon Monarch HG 8x30, both really very compact. Maybe if you've never used such lightweight and compact 8x30 you don't know what you are missing. Unless size and weight (like if climbling or hiking ultralight) are an absolute priority, I find it hard to justify an 8x25 over these 8x30 (especially the double hinge design that I find more "compromised"). You also have the Kite Lynx HD+ 8x30, the Opticron Traveler BGA 8x32, all really very nice binoculars at different price points. If you want to go the Swarovski way, the CL 8x30 is also very nice, although a tad taller and heavier, but lightweight nonetheless.

- If you decide you want a pocket, the Curio 7x21 seems to have many charms, but make sure to try the diminutive size and double hinge design and see if it works for you.

- As a wildcard, I would not rule out a more "classic" 7x, like the Leica Ultravid 7x42, which offers a wonderful experience, full of detail and depth, a really sweet, calm and relaxed view, thanks to the lower power. The size is pretty compact for a 7x, and depending on the user's hand size, they can offer more "real state" to place your hands and get a great grip. I think 12x42 and 7x42 could cover a really very wide range of viewing conditions and bird varieties: from long range, waders, raptors, to shady canopy, dusk/dawn.

So there you have it. I hope it helps.

I'm in the same situation, and have generally imagined myself buying another NL in 10x32. The part of my brain that wants to try something new is battling the part that says the NLs are about as good as could be expected, so why not just buy another?

My wife and I are wildlife photographers and often carrying a camera with a telephoto lens in the field. We bought the Swarovski 8x25 (my wife) and 10x25 Pocket Mountain CL binoculars. These weigh only 12.4 ounces and the carry case attaches to a belt in seconds and fits inside a jacket pocket or water bottle sleeve.

I also have 8x32, 8x42, 10x43, and 12x50 binoculars, and the most frequently used ones away from the house at the 10x25 and 8x25 Swarovski. My wife does not like using a 10x binocular but I prefer the added magnification they provide.

With eyeglasses being a given, and you having the 12x42 NL as immediate reference and source of potential envy, I'd also first and foremost consider either the 8x or 10x32 NL Pure. When you learn to use it, the forehead rest is really good for glasses wearers as it allows support on the skull without any pressure on the glasses, so the glasses stay aligned. Any pocket binocular will be fine in and of itself, but they tend to be fiddly with glasses and the image is nowhere near as impressive or immersive as in the NL Pures.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. As the budget committee is currently in recess, we've just pulled the trigger on a pair of 12x8 NL Pures. It was a very close run thing with the 8x32s for greater portability, but the FOV and clarity of the 8x NLs is fantastic, and with the forehead rest we both actually prefer the form factor of the 42s to the smaller 32s. And the 8xs do give us another use case for spotting from moving boats / vehicles / forests where we might struggle with the 12x, and also for night use where the additional light transmission will be useful.

I've added the 7x21 curios to my christmas list for hikes ;). But for this particular trip we can cope with less portability for the FOV and light transmission.

Should be delivered tomorrow, then I have 30 days to (very carefully) use to decide on any buyers remorse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back