• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Condors, Jays, and Plastics (1 Viewer)

I have spent a week in San Diego 4 years ago for a conference I didn't really care about (but had to present there), so I mostly birded :) and it was indeed really nice. I have to concur your statement about a car as in San Diego, I visited a plenty of great sites by public transit, but I guess my advantage was that I wasn't looking for any specific species as I had a plenty of lifers anywhere I looked.

As for your trip, I find an organized tour for introduced species pretty funny ! But I shouldn't be talking as I have myself recently gone to Portugal for the same purpose :)

Tattler would have been nice for my year list, but otherwise it's a bird I have seen plenty of times in California. Who knows, might have another shot if my Hawaii trip happens.

I have spent a week in San Diego 4 years ago for a conference I didn't really care about (but had to present there), so I mostly birded :) and it was indeed really nice. I have to concur your statement about a car as in San Diego, I visited a plenty of great sites by public transit, but I guess my advantage was that I wasn't looking for any specific species as I had a plenty of lifers anywhere I looked.

As for your trip, I find an organized tour for introduced species pretty funny ! But I shouldn't be talking as I have myself recently gone to Portugal for the same purpose :)
Yeah it depends on what your targets are. You can get to a lot of coastal wetland/shoreline sites via public transit if you are patient, and some local parks can be decent for migrants. But it will eat up a lot more time, and some of the tougher species or the Desert/Mountain species will be impossible.

As for the tour, the emphasis was Condor and Island Scrub Jay as much as exotics. I guess you could call it the "northern SoCal bird tour", as most every other socal speciality other than those birds are probably easier in San Diego and Orange Counties.

Santa Cruz island has two piers where people are dropped off. The first stop is the festive sounding Scorpion Cove. This is the stop with the easiest access to the campground, and so where we basically dumped off the majority of the actually very large number of passengers on the boat. Camping here is something I have always been interested in, as back in the day the campground site was the best spot for Foxes, and there used to be Western Spotted Skunks visiting the campground at night. Never managed it though.

While Island Scrub-Jay is gettable from here, it requires a bit more hiking and effort, so pretty much all birders instead go to the second dock, at Prisoner's Harbor (Again, great names here! I almost expect pirates to be hanging around!), where they are much easier. A much smaller group, including us, was dropped off here, while the boat we were on anchored in the harbor. We were dropped off I think around 11:00, and the boat would pick us up again at 2:30, so we had 3.5 hours to find our targets. To get on the island, one has to climb up a ladder. The island really has no amenities: Guests need to bring water and their lunch, and its recommended for at least one member of the group to have first aid supplies. the area around the pier has picnic tables, food bins (more on that later), and a set of bathrooms, but otherwise that is it. Prisoner's Harbor is on National Park ground, but is adjacent to Conservancy land, so a lot of the area around the pier is no go, limiting your hiking and walking options.

As if to make up for the Karmic misfortune of our long wait for the Condor, The Island Scrub-Jay were spotted before we even had time to leave the pier! They are a really beautiful jay, a much darker blue than the mainland species, and also have a bigger bill and just overall larger size. They do feel like a distinct bird. Populations seem healthy for the species, although I have heard they did go through a bit of a decline, blamed on West Nile Virus by some. The picnic area adjacent to the pier is also the best area for foxes, although none were present. In fact the food bins present are in part because the foxes and local ravens have become quite skilled at raiding day packs for food.

Leaving the pier, a large number of Heermann's Gulls were present, the first for the trip for me. Also good numbers of Western Grebes in the harbor.

Beyond the Jay, there are several other endemic or nearly endemic subspecies on the islands, with four species being present on Santa Cruz island. A fifth, and the one most likely to be split, The Channel Island Flycatcher (subspecies currently of Pacific-slope), doesn't winter on the island, and is absent at this time of year. Our group had the secondary goal of seeing these birds as well. The first of these subspecies seen was the "sedentary" form of Allen's Hummingbird, which were easily found in the shrubby adjacent to the picnic area. These aren't really endemic anymore, have sucessfully colonized the mainland, taking advantage of all the exotic flowering vegetation there. The next was the "sordid" Orange-crowned Warbler, which also proved common. Honestly, neither of these seemed much different than other subspecies, so I would be skeptical of future splits of these forms, although in general the Pacific coast "Lutescent" Orange-crowned, the most common local mainland winterer, is a lot brighter a bird and is field identifiable, so I could see something happening there.

The two other subspecies, of Hutton's Vireo and Song Sparrow, required more work, but both were seen as well. Even our guide was unsure what exactly distinguished mainland from island Vireos (Birds of the world says they are duller?). The Song Sparrow did however feel distinct, more distinct than the other forms, with crisper, thinner streaking and a somewhat lighter color.

Beyond the endemics, there are also other species present. Birds also seen included Audubon's Warbler, Acorn Woodpecker, Mallard, House Finch, Bewick's Wren, Bushtit, and Ruby-crowned Kinglet. The island is a bit more popular spot in migration, where the brush and trees can attract good numbers of migrants, including rarities, but at this time of year there really is not a whole lot around, which made for a pretty laid back few hours of birding.

So, two hours into the trip and we had knocked off all the target birds, but there was one target remaining, which we focused our efforts on: Island Fox. This fox can only be found on two of the Channel Islands, and is effectively a miniature Gray Fox (They weigh about 4 pounds, making them perhaps the only wild canid that my parent's shitzu could beat up). They are a relatively recent divergence from the mainland form, and are actually thought to have been potentially brought over by ancient Native Americans 9,000 years ago. The species has suffered some conservation challenges. When DDT wiped out the local breeding Bald Eagles, it allowed Golden Eagles to move into the island. Apparently the Bald Eagles left the foxes alone, but the Golden Eagles saw the little guys a prey, leading to a rapid population crash and the need for a captive breeding program. Thankfully, with Bald Eagle population rebounding, Bald Eagles have recolonized the islands and apparently driven the Golden's out, and fox numbers have recovered.

I admit, it was taking awhile and I was again getting worried. Two members of our group peeled off to use the bathrooms, and wouldn't you know, one Island Fox nonchalantly walked by one of the birders. We spotted the fox from afar and hurried over. Thankfully, the species has zero fear of humans and was completely fine with going about its foxy ways, allowing everyone to take a million pictures. Said foxy ways apparently involved a scavenging patrol of the campground to see what morsels were dropped or what food was left unprotected.

I got great pictures and close prolonged experiences with the animal, which I reckon has to be the cutest adult mammal in North America, sort of looking like a cross between a daschund (in body shape) and a typical gray fox. As I joked later, this was the "bird" of the trip for me, beating out the Condor. Much of our remaining time on the island would now be spent with the fox and waiting for the boat to begin pickup.

Eventually we departed the island. There was a very halfhearted attempt at some pelagic birding, but other than some really nice close views of Pelagic Cormorant in Scorpion Cove and a Bald Eagle, not much was seen. It was colder than the morning and a good rainstorm had started off, so many of us retreated into the cabin; those who didn't didn't really get rewarded for there efforts. We got into the Harbor near dusk, and would close off our last full day with a dinner at a nearby somewhat fancier restaurant.

Happy to hear you managed to get both the Island Scrub Jay and the Fox. Very nice chronicle of your trip, I’ve enjoyed reading it.

Good on you for getting the California Condor, truly a magnificent bird.
I believe there is now a self sustaining wild population (complicated by the discovery that the females are parthenogenic if required).
I've only seen the released specimens unfortunately, it just jars seeing this huge, quasi prehistoric bird with number tags on its wings...
Really?

Maybe you will be another birder converted to mammalwatching soon :)
Oh I have been converted a long time. However mammals are harder to see than birds. I am sure once the number of lifers I can get in the US declines I will shift gears to ground squirrels and chipmunks, but not quite yet...

Oh I have been converted a long time. However mammals are harder to see than birds. I am sure once the number of lifers I can get in the US declines I will shift gears to ground squirrels and chipmunks, but not quite yet...
Audubon made that transition after completing his 'Birds of America', he and his sons completed the 'The-Viviparous-Quadrupeds-of-North-America'., another masterpiece imho, but one less well known.
Audubon soon found that various ground squirrels were surprisingly abundant, diversity was at the small scale end of the spectrum.
That makes it difficult, small mostly nocturnal creatures, living mostly underground, sporting mostly brown, beige or black fur.
Think the project was less successful economically, but am happy the NY Historical Society displays a page of one of their copies regularly.

Yup
California Condors Surprise Scientists With Two 'Virgin Births'
I knew about Komodos, especially after having been there but had no idea it was possible in birds, giving away their reptilian lineage. Some fish can change sex I belive, to restore the gender balance?
Changing sex in fish is probably the norm. In many it's size or age related. E.g. start out small and female and then after some years become male.

The final morning of the trip had me anxious and a bit annoyed. The tour I was on had a schedule end point of around noon today. Despite this, several folks went ahead and got flights that required them to be at the airport at 8:30. This meant that we would have to drop them off, THEN bird before dropping everyone else off. This reduced an already short birding time to track down exotics to an even shorter time, maybe 3 hours at most. I am sure no one else probably felt that, given that one of the target exotics was seen in the San Diego tour portion (the white-eye), while the other person who was just doing the extension had already seen that bird and the Whydah from family visits.

At any rate, we targeted local parks not far from the airport, which ebird recorded as having recent sighting's of Swinhoe's White-eye and Pin-tailed Whydah. The former I found especially interesting. If you are a US-based birder and have no idea what this bird is, that is because this bird is currently is not illustrated in any field guide, it's first sightings being in 2009. The population seemed to remain tiny, but around 2015 began to really take off. White-eyes have now expanded there range over a large chunk of the LA Basin and Orange County, with bird being recorded as far south as Tijuana, and even being recorded in the Channel Islands. Anyone who knows about wild white-eye biology knows they are champions of dispersal, and it seems very likely they will quickly conquer all of Southern California, and could even have the ability to disperse further afield, although the deserts to the east should limit them some (unless they get into Mexico and cut over!). They are not yet on the California or ABA checklist, and the big thing holding them back appears to some uncertainty on whether they ARE Swinhoe's, versus another species. Voice and morphology match but the California committee wants genetic data, which is apparently in some phase of being worked on. Long story short, they are a neat bird that I wanted to see.

A lot of L.A. birding, as I think I referenced before, consists of visiting small parks. Our first park we visited was Alta Vista Park. We found a good size flock of warblers in the park, and began to scan for White-eyes, picking up a good number of Orange-crowned and Townsend's Warbler. It was pretty birdy overall, with Spotted Towhees in the nearby brush and a Red-shoulder Hawk that was getting mobbed by some crows. After quite a bit of frustration, our guide thought he had hear one call. Thus began a series of jogs to and fro, as the well camouflaged birds had a habit of being found but then flying into other thick vegetation. They are a distinctive bird, BUT...they are surprisingly cryptic when they wanted to. Eventually, I managed good looks of Swinhoe's White-eye, but it was worrying me. Incidently, there were at least 7 and maybe up to 10 of the birds. Again, they are doing quite well for themselves. No whydahs however :(

We still had time though!

So we headed to El Retiro Park. Whydahs had been regularly seen here, and so we began our search. This park is tucked away between apartments and a little hard to find, with a decent bit of space dedicated to tennis courts and such. However there were lots of trees and dense vegetation. We did a complete walk around the park, picking up the typical Socal park birds (Cassin's Kingbird, Black Phoebe, Audubon's, etc).

Getting back to the parking lot, we saw a fair number of small birds flying in and out of trees near the entrance. More White-eyes, which were a bit more cooperative, 9 in total. Still no Whydahs. We did however run into a local birder who was heavily involved in monitoring bird populations in these different parks, and collecting data on the Whydahs. He offered to take us the Henrietta Basin, as he had the keys to get in. He also remarked as having flocks of up to FIFTY whydahs there. However, there just was no time. Biologically these are pretty interesting birds, as I find it interesting that whydahs have been around forever in tiny numbers, probably supplemented by escapes, but it really took the established of a local estrilid for the bird population to become established. As we were talking, the local thought he heard the whydahs. Suddenly there was a mad dash towards the entrance. Across the road, a flock of 8 Pin-tailed Whydahs, mixed with some larger House finches, were bathing in some puddles in the row, allowing distant but good views. Another last minute save, as we had minutes left before we had to drop another person off at the airport. Victorious, we departed for the airport and for my hotel (I couldn't find a afternoon flight that would get me home). Saying good bye to everyone, I spent my afternoon updating my life lists.

I will have one more final post, going over what I missed and some general thoughts.

Nice, glad you were able to get onto the Whydahs. I've only seen them once during my trips down to Orange County/LA (though I never really was trying for them), they aren't particularly easy to find.

Wild born birds also get tagged, although apparently a couple of birds have eluded attempts to do so.

The tags are interesting, as you can look up the birds info. Our bird was wild born and about 6 years old, IIRC
Nearly all of the birds (wild-born or captive-born) have number tags on the wings. It's actually a reliable field mark.

The final morning of the trip had me anxious and a bit annoyed. The tour I was on had a schedule end point of around noon today. Despite this, several folks went ahead and got flights that required them to be at the airport at 8:30. This meant that we would have to drop them off, THEN bird before dropping everyone else off. This reduced an already short birding time to track down exotics to an even shorter time, maybe 3 hours at most. I am sure no one else probably felt that, given that one of the target exotics was seen in the San Diego tour portion (the white-eye), while the other person who was just doing the extension had already seen that bird and the Whydah from family visits.

At any rate, we targeted local parks not far from the airport, which ebird recorded as having recent sighting's of Swinhoe's White-eye and Pin-tailed Whydah. The former I found especially interesting. If you are a US-based birder and have no idea what this bird is, that is because this bird is currently is not illustrated in any field guide, it's first sightings being in 2009. The population seemed to remain tiny, but around 2015 began to really take off. White-eyes have now expanded there range over a large chunk of the LA Basin and Orange County, with bird being recorded as far south as Tijuana, and even being recorded in the Channel Islands. Anyone who knows about wild white-eye biology knows they are champions of dispersal, and it seems very likely they will quickly conquer all of Southern California, and could even have the ability to disperse further afield, although the deserts to the east should limit them some (unless they get into Mexico and cut over!). They are not yet on the California or ABA checklist, and the big thing holding them back appears to some uncertainty on whether they ARE Swinhoe's, versus another species. Voice and morphology match but the California committee wants genetic data, which is apparently in some phase of being worked on. Long story short, they are a neat bird that I wanted to see.

A lot of L.A. birding, as I think I referenced before, consists of visiting small parks. Our first park we visited was Alta Vista Park. We found a good size flock of warblers in the park, and began to scan for White-eyes, picking up a good number of Orange-crowned and Townsend's Warbler. It was pretty birdy overall, with Spotted Towhees in the nearby brush and a Red-shoulder Hawk that was getting mobbed by some crows. After quite a bit of frustration, our guide thought he had hear one call. Thus began a series of jogs to and fro, as the well camouflaged birds had a habit of being found but then flying into other thick vegetation. They are a distinctive bird, BUT...they are surprisingly cryptic when they wanted to. Eventually, I managed good looks of Swinhoe's White-eye, but it was worrying me. Incidently, there were at least 7 and maybe up to 10 of the birds. Again, they are doing quite well for themselves. No whydahs however :(

We still had time though!

So we headed to El Retiro Park. Whydahs had been regularly seen here, and so we began our search. This park is tucked away between apartments and a little hard to find, with a decent bit of space dedicated to tennis courts and such. However there were lots of trees and dense vegetation. We did a complete walk around the park, picking up the typical Socal park birds (Cassin's Kingbird, Black Phoebe, Audubon's, etc).

Getting back to the parking lot, we saw a fair number of small birds flying in and out of trees near the entrance. More White-eyes, which were a bit more cooperative, 9 in total. Still no Whydahs. We did however run into a local birder who was heavily involved in monitoring bird populations in these different parks, and collecting data on the Whydahs. He offered to take us the Henrietta Basin, as he had the keys to get in. He also remarked as having flocks of up to FIFTY whydahs there. However, there just was no time. Biologically these are pretty interesting birds, as I find it interesting that whydahs have been around forever in tiny numbers, probably supplemented by escapes, but it really took the established of a local estrilid for the bird population to become established. As we were talking, the local thought he heard the whydahs. Suddenly there was a mad dash towards the entrance. Across the road, a flock of 8 Pin-tailed Whydahs, mixed with some larger House finches, were bathing in some puddles in the row, allowing distant but good views. Another last minute save, as we had minutes left before we had to drop another person off at the airport. Victorious, we departed for the airport and for my hotel (I couldn't find a afternoon flight that would get me home). Saying good bye to everyone, I spent my afternoon updating my life lists.

I will have one more final post, going over what I missed and some general thoughts.
I believe the most recent edition of The Sibley Guide to Birds covers the white-eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back