• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmation for yellow-breasted chat, Georgia, USA, early september 2023. (1 Viewer)

ignicapilla

Romania
Hello, can someone please confirm if this is a yellow-breasted chat? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 18.56.02.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 18.56.02.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
Yes. The yellow is paler than I'd expect so it may be a young bird (assume a female—no white moustachial streak).

No white belly, no blackish lore, bill not terribly heavy. In September it might (just about?) be a juvenile and thus an unillustrated/rarely-photographed plumage. General appearance suggests one of the regular warbler-type warblers.

I'd suggest Pine Warbler, one of the stouter-billed warblers. The partial "spectacles" on the face fit Pine, too. Plus it's in a pine sp., which doesn't clinch it but can be a supporting clue:)
Are we sure it is a pine plant/warbler? I'm not...

Not a great photo but I couldn't make it fit a wood warbler. I find the face pattern closer to the chat than anything else (eg I see white/dark lore although they're not marked; not on pine warbler). I can't be sure exactly what the underpart pattern is but I find the bill heavy and the right colour for the chat (pine's usually all dark, but when bicoloured a bit different to this), no sign of any wing bars (although difficult to be sure) etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back