• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmations I/Ds 5 moths please (1 Viewer)

kathykate

Hello, can anyone confirm my thoughts, and chip in on the ones I'm stumped on?

The nearest I can get to no. 1 is Broken-barred carpet, but don't think that is right. It is the size of a Cyprus Carpet and has a pale greenish tinge all over.

2 don't know Micro - sides of wings have lilac sheen as can be seen in pic.

3 & 5 Dusky Thorns (they are two different moths)? Certainly don't have bright yellow thorax's.

4 Marbled Orchard Tortrix? White bits of wings were folded in at back to a v-shape.

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1030492.JPG
    P1030492.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 43
  • P1030501.JPG
    P1030501.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 39
  • P1030517.JPG
    P1030517.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 37
  • P1030520.JPG
    P1030520.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 33
  • P1030523.JPG
    P1030523.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 29
For me, 1 is Tree-lichen Beauty and 3 & 5 are Dusky Thorn. 4 could be one of several black and white tortrices from that photo in my opinion - Hedya or Apotomis.

all the best

I've caught two now in the last week, having not caught any in my new(ish) garden - since 2011. Perhaps they are immigrants or perhaps colonising?

I would guess the 2 Kent gardens above are being colonised - here in Dartford I've had 94 since the first of the year on 09 Jul 14 and have had it each year in the 5 years I've been trapping. Other local gardens have far higher counts of this species than me.

Regards

James

I used to catch them regularly in my old garden near Bromley in London/Kent, but have been in the new garden in Medway since Oct 2011 and last week was my first with another this week. Might be interesting to track this colonisation eastwards across North Kent.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back