• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confusing Bird Calls (1 Viewer)

maplekong

Well Known For Being Inexperienced Member
England
Hello! I thought it might be fun to share confusing calls here. Listening for birds is often easier that just trying to see them, but some have confused my dumb beginner brain. Here's two to start us off-

1. Tic. Robins tic, wrens chak, stonechats vist, but with the calls coming from a distance, or even quite close, I cannot tell them apart for my life.
2. Seeseesee. I'm still confused as to what makes this ridiculously high pitched and perpetual whistling, it's so high my parents cannot hear it.

Feel free to share any calls that are confusing.

Birds that mimic other birds, or indeed other things. Superb lyrebirds do this to an extraordinary extent.

In the UK, I've heard Starlings do convincing impressions of curlews, lapwings, greylags, car locks, screaming children, you name it.

I hear a Starling mimicking a Curlew every spring. I'm presuming he's spent the winter at the coast.

It always makes me run to the window to try and get a house tick (still waiting).

You have such interesting starlings, mine are boring and have their own song- I've hardly heard any mimicry so far (or so it seems)

Speaking of Xenocanto: When I lived in Australia, the times I put in all-nighters or got up super early, I would hear a three-note call that I tracked down to the local Black Butcherbird. The only bird that got up earlier was the resident Helmeted Friarbird.

I heard a lot of BBs over the years but never heard this particular call from any other. When Xenocanto became a thing, I searched it for the call and yet never found anything that sounded like it. What I was further struck by was how huge this species' repertoire is. Black Butcherbirds really are the Great Tits of the Australian Wet Tropics.

I sometimes find that a bird that's far away can sound like it might be a different species calling from nearby. Especially if the distance means you don't hear the entire sound. Examples that immediately spring to mind include a distant Magpie having a call that resembles a nearby Bullfinch, and A distant Jackdaw can sound like a nearby Chaffinch.

A starling kicks off with a camera shutter before moving on to R2D2 (The Empire Strikes Back R2D2, which it must have heard) and a barking dog. There's also a trilling sound which may have been made by its female owner.

This one is equally remarkable:

Last edited:
I sometimes find that a bird that's far away can sound like it might be a different species calling from nearby. Especially if the distance means you don't hear the entire sound. Examples that immediately spring to mind include a distant Magpie having a call that resembles a nearby Bullfinch, and A distant Jackdaw can sound like a nearby Chaffinch.
Yes indeed! I've noticed this too, will have to make a mental note of the sp next time. 👍🐦

I'm not sure just how similar they are, but this morning Merlin managed to mistake a rose-ringed parakeet for a wryneck, then a long-eared owl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back