• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Connecticut USA 20009 Western Versus Eastern Cattle Egret? (1 Viewer)

jeen1965

This egret was from 2010. At the time I found out it was a Cattle egret but now I have learned that there is a western and an eastern version of a Cattle Egret. Is this a western or an eastern Cattle Egret and how do you determine the difference? -thanksIMG_0099cattle.JPG

It's a western just based on range. The difference between western and eastern is more distinguishable when cattle egrets are in their breeding plumage, though technically the western is slightly smaller and has a shorter bill .

"Western" in this case means roughly "west of the Strait of Hormuz". If you saw it in the Americas (or Africa or Europe), it's safe to assume it's Western. In Australia, Indochina, or India, you can assume Eastern. (I'm not so sure about Iran or the Caucuses...) They're not easy to tell apart, especially in non-breeding plumage.

Also, not all authorities agree as to whether they are separate species. Nobody will complain if you leave it as "cattle egret."

Last edited:
okay-thanks for the explanation! I wasn't looking at it from a world view. I'm used to seeing western and eastern species within the United States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back