• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cooper's or Goshawk on a terrible photo? - Pennsylvania (USA), 7 April (1 Viewer)

birdmeister

United States
Hello folks,

I was doing some migration watching yesterday and saw several Accipiters pass by. One initially caught my attention as a bulky bird, giving a near-Red-shouldered Hawk impression while one a glide. Nearly all the previous Goshawks I've seen have reminded me of Red-shoulders. The bird circled with a clear adult Cooper's Hawk for a minute or so, before both headed north.

I wish I had taken photos of the Cooper's to provide a comparison of shape at that distance.

Do any of you see Goshawk characteristics in these distant, grainy photos? If anything, I thought this had broader wings and lacked the lankiness of Cooper's.

Given that I couldn't make up my mind in the field, and the bird looked only a bit larger than the soaring Cooper's it was with, I'm inclined to leave this as an immature Cooper's, maybe a large female.

Attachments

• Accipiter_4:7:21.png
    Accipiter_4:7:21.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • Accipiter1_4:7:21.png
    Accipiter1_4:7:21.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Accipiter2_4:7:21.png
    Accipiter2_4:7:21.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Accipiter3_4:7:21.png
    Accipiter3_4:7:21.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
I don't see anything of northern goshawk in these photos. Ignoring any size comparisons, the stubby head, short body and square-cornered tail make me think most of sharp-shinned hawk.

Given that I couldn't make up my mind in the field, and the bird looked only a bit larger than the soaring Cooper's it was with, I'm inclined to leave this as an immature Cooper's, maybe a large female.
I am not sure it’s identifiable for sure tbh. I agree it looks broadwinged and bulky - the fact it was larger than the Coopers would rule out a Sharp-shinned however, even if it was female Sharpie. I would say an imm female Coop is the most likely, it’s not a buteo or Gos imo.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back