• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Copenhagen (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
I am going to have a few hours in Copenhagen on 3rd May. As it is only a few hours (because I'm arriving by ship and leaving the same day by plane) but I want to fit in some birding if I can, can anyone recommend any spots in or near to the city accessible by public transport?

Cheers

Hi VB,

There's some info here: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Copenhagen_area

Depending on precisely how much time you have, the best options are probably either Amager Faeled or Jaegersborg Dyrhaven. The former is an area of scrubland and small lakes immediately adjacent to the city and easily reached by Metro. The latter is an area of mature woodland to the north of the city easily reached by train. The former has breeding Thrush Nightingale and Marsh Warbler though you will probably be too early for these. The latter has Black Woodpecker, Short-toed Treecreeper, Hawfinch and Goshawk, but would take more time to get to.

Cheers,

Stuart

I will also be visiting Copenhagen for one week at the beginning of June so the link with info came in handy... I had to look on google maps though where are those areas but found them all :)

I was in Copenhagen this week, and managed a couple of hours at Vestamager (Kalvebod Faelled) after my meeting finished rather early, taking a walk in the snow and ice out into the grassland.

It was a reasonable success, with several large raptors being the highlight. There were 2 or 3 hen harriers hunting over the grass and reeds, often coming within 30-40m of the paths I was on, and a much larger, uniformly brown unidentified raptor with bright white underwing patches - seemed too big for a buzzard but no white tail for rough-legged buzzard....! Also, a couple of kestrel completed the raptor line-up.

I didn't manage to get to the coastal part of the reserve, but still had two groups of mute swan and smallish group of bean goose and canada goose fly over (and I had spotted a large group of goldenye from the motorway bridge connecting Amager to Copenhagen).

As for passerines, the grassland was quiet, but the woods around the the visitor centre held good numbers of fieldfare, blue tit, great tit, goldfinch and siskin (although the siskin appeared very pale in colour...), as well as dozens of hooded crows and wood pigeon and a group of 5-6 redwing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back