• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

copper underwing agg - now that palps are not reliable... (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I was wondering whether we could have a 'reference' thread where we have some pix of Amphipyra pyramidea and berbera to illustrate the difference.
I caught one last night which appears to be copper underwing (Pyramidea) rather than Svensson's (berbera) as there is very little copper below. According to W & T, the 'inner central cross-line on Pyramidea ususally has two v-marks that are roughly level'.
If I am looking at the right feature, mine looks closer to berbera on that count. But the forewing is perhaps on the dark side (Pyramidea feature).
Ken

Attachments

• copper underwing agg ex8317 (800).JPG
    copper underwing agg ex8317 (800).JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 70
  • copper underwing agg underside ex8314 (800).JPG
    copper underwing agg underside ex8314 (800).JPG
    96 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Hi Ken

I'd lean towards Svensson's too.

I'd also like to reiterate that these features are meant as a guide to aid identification not a distinguishing feature in their own right and should be used together - not just one of them on its own.

I'd also point out that (for me) the underwing feature is quite hard to see in live specimens as it is the lower part of the hindwing that you need to see - which is usually obscured by the abdomen.

The sides of the abdomen of your specimen also seem to be less 'chequered' pointing to Svensson's.

Best wishes

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back