• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Copy Writing Shots? (1 Viewer)

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question.
I am wanting advice on whether when someone uploads their pictures to a platform like Flickr or similar (basically to show them off), and then in the future you may want to put a shot up for a competition, what is stopping someone else using that shot themselves. If all that makes sense? I have seen nice photos with the photographers name added, is that the way to do it? If so, is this done on photoshop or the like? GN.

In the UK the creator of the photo automatically has copyright - no need to add names etc. Adding a name in a photo editing package makes it harder to copy but doesn't alter the legal status. No idea about the rest of the world though...

The thing you have to accept is that anything you post online will be misused in some way. As such if the thing you post matters to you then don't post it on the web. As for photos I've seen images taken from Flickr and sold as print. National newspapers have taken them to illustrate their tawdry articles. Wikipedia regularly scraps Flickr for CC-BY licensed works and strips off the photographer's watermark and copyright statements. They took 1,000,000 of images from Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square! and stripped off the metadata leaving them with 100,000 photos of random hedgerows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back